Ich in My Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you remove the fish into a quarantine or two for a month?...really is your best option.

I have treated ich in planted tanks with the heat method with no problems. Depends on what plants. Most are tolerant of heat. My discus tank is at 86 F and the plants thrive. Do not add salt and add extra aeration. Keep heat up for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone.

Slowly raise the temperature in the tank to around 87 degrees. Go slowly as to not stress the fish. 1-2 degree increase every 12 hours. Once you get to 87, watch your fish. Over time the white spots will disappear. Once all of the spots are gone, leave the temperatures at 87 for 2 more weeks, then start slowly bringing the temp back down to normal.

Neilanh nailed in right on the head. The heat method works great. QT'ing fish doesn't always work as the ich can also be free swimming and the ich can remain in the main tank.

Pretty Fishies, sorry to hear about your ich troubles. Get that temperature up and it will get better in no time. Try to do it gradually, but also know that I've done it way too fast (4 degrees in 6 hours) and my fish have been fine.

Definitely stay away from meds.

Neilanh nailed in right on the head. The heat method works great. QT'ing fish doesn't always work as the ich can also be free swimming and the ich can remain in the main tank.

If all fish are removed to quaranteen, the remaining free swimming ICH will starve and die within 2 or 3 weeks. They need a living host. Only the dormant cysts living in the gravel or sand will remain. Those may/may not hatch later when a PWC (cooler, fresh) is done. ICH can remain dormant for more than 5 yrs at a time... only to pop up at a time when you think they were gone for good.

I just wanted to add that I have also used the heat meathod and all of my plants made it through without any problems.

My only concern would be the night time O2 levels. If it is a heavily planted tank with the temp set at 87, you may need to agitate the surface of the aquarium to ensure there is enough O2.

Definitely aerate the take while the temperatures are up. Warm water holds much less O2.

Per cubic foot of water:

@ 20 C: 3.1 cubic inches of O2 (free O2 and usable by fish)
@ 30 C: 1.3 cubic inches of O2 (free O2 and usable by fish)

Big difference!

Back
Top Bottom