ich Tx and plants/snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loren

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added 3 ottos to my 10gal this weekend, and I think one may have ich (I don't have a QT but am thinking that's next for me :?...at any rate, here's where I am...) My NH3 NO2 NO3 and pH are fine. I add salt with water changes just as a precaution. So far, I only see one spot on one otto, and everyone else is fine...but looks can be decieving with ich (I read Ally's article, and it was really informative; one of the best I've read). Other occupants are: 3 black neon tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 clown pleco, and 1 snail (amazing creature). I also have two java ferns...but if it came down to a choice between my fish or the plants, the fish win.

I have Qucik Cure on hand, but I wonder how that will effect the snail and the pleco/ottos? Would salt hurt the snail (I can pick up an hydrometer if I go with salt)? I can probably move the snail if I have to(they don't get ich, do they?)...maybe put the plants with it in a small tank? (Maybe this is a good time to pick up that QT)

Any suggestions for treating? I'd like to nip this in the bud if I can. Thanks.

Depends on the meds. I believe those containing copper or malachite green are deadly to inverts like snails and shrimp. Not sure about formulin. Unless the meds are specifically designed for scaleless fish (like the plec and otos...and it should say right on it), use it at half dose. It will likely take twice as long to cure tho, so do be aware.

Back
Top Bottom