ID and rooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought this labeled only as balansae--I'm assuming that means it's Cryptocoryne crispatula var. Balansae since that's the only thing I can find with that name. I question this though, since the pictures I've seen show a greener plant. So it anyone has a different ID, I'd appreciate it!

The issue is rooting it. As you can see, it has very little roots (what it came with were rotting and continued to do so). How do I get it to root? I tried putting the base in the substrate with a root tab for good measure but it just came out of the substrate again. I'm not sure how deep I can plant it without losing it. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• plant_153.jpg
    plant_153.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 36
Crypt coloring can vary greatly depending on the lighting that it's growing under. Generally the higher light that they experience the more reds and browns that will come out.

I would recommend floating the plant until the roots grow out sufficiently to be able to plant it without burying the rhizome.

This would be why I'm looking for an id. :) The store I got it at is just not good at accurately labeling. It does look somewhat like the Echinodorus horemanii "red" pictures I can find--although the leaves seem to be more narrow and ribbon-like.

It has been floating (that was my solution--glad to hear it seconded). Will that allow it to grow adequate roots regardless of whether it's a sword or crypt? Thanks.

You can float most any plant to encourage rooting if the plant doesn't have a lot of roots to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom