ID for these Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can somebody help me to ID these plants.

My son got them for a 10G tank, but we are not familiar nether experienced in real plant maintenance. So any help and info in how to deal with them will be great. The tank host a betta, apple snail, Siamese algae eater and an African Frog.

Thanks!

Can some one give me an advice regarding maintaining these plants in a 10G tank?
I keep my lights on for 11 hours, the light bulbs are:

2 six inches 10 watts bulbs, made by Coralife they said in the box 50/50
50% 10,000K daylight, and 50% True Actinic blue light.

Do I need to add fertilizers to the tank now? Which, how and how much? If is not to much to ask
:confused:

Uhh those bulbs were made for saltwater. Actinics do nothing for plants. They just make your fish's colors pop.

You want just plain 10000k or better yet something in the 6K-8k range.

You probably won't need fertilizers and I'd reduce the photoperiod to ~8hours lest you want algae on everything.

With 20w of 10k or 6k or something you'll have medium light.

I think mfd has got the first two right. The last plant is...MAYBE pogostemon erectus....

That plant is high light and won't last long in low light. The others should be fine. Again this ID is tentative. I can't get a good ID without a really good picture...preferably one that's not sideways lol.

If you get a picture from the top that'd help. The leaves per whorl and leaf shape are important in IDs.

I was thinking pogostemon erectum as well Crepe, but the leaves seem a little too spread out for that, and the stem doesn't look thick enough... If it is pogostemon e, it won't survive long under 10 or even 20W over a 10gal tank.

Detail pictures

Here is the three plant detail pictures, the first 2 pictures are the same plant,
View attachment 29082
View attachment 29083

the third picture is the second plant,
View attachment 29084
and the last picture are the third plant;
View attachment 29085

I will reduce the light to 8 hrs, and look for better bulbs,

if one is not suitable for a 10G tank let me know and we will give it to a friend.

thanks

First two Ids were correct they are just a bit leggy from lack of light..

Last one is NOT pogostemon erectus...I honestly don't know lol.

Thanks Fort.

I probably give to my friend this last plant to be sure, and I will try to buy higher light bulbs...
Thanks again

No problem. I think it is probably higher light regardless of what species it is.

Keep in mind it will probably not be possible to just buy higher light bulbs that go in your fixture. If you want to put more light over the tank, it will probably require you to upgrade to a different fixture all together.

Good to know, I was thinking that was not that simple :(

Nevertheless I committed to keep at least 2 plants live, I will be sure to upgrade the fixture.... i will check tomorrow the LFS and i will post more questions tomorrow before I spend my money.

Also I will read as much as I can tonight.....

Thanks

The anacharis, IME, will grow under minimal lighting... I had some in a 55g with two 18w bulbs over it. It didn't look the best in the world, but it grew... I had some stalks over 30" long

Back
Top Bottom