id plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquandrew

Aquarium Advice Addict
got this from petco and it was labeled java fern and it definitely isnt that. anyone?

Attachments

• image-3320184150.jpg
    image-3320184150.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 83
I'm pretty sure it's some kind of non aquatic fern. Either that or bolbitus (African fern) but that seems too dark to be African.

It's Bolbitus. Older leaves tend to be darker. I have a huge one in the 220 and while new growth comes in a brighter green, it darkens after it's been in the tank for awhile. Here's mine when it was new, look at the lower growth and notice how dark it is. That was in Dec 2012 and now the plant is about 15"x15" and I actually have to trim growth off. One thing about it is it doesn't do well in hard water. If you notice area's on the leaves turning black, that is due to hard water. Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 12-1-2012 - Picture

ok ive had it in the tank for about 4-5 months now and its turning black a little bit off just one of the sections should i move my kuhlis and cories to a different tank and add aquarium salt to soften the water?

Salt won't soften water. You need to lower your Gh and Kh to at least 4 for both readings. You can do this by using RO to cut with your tap water during WC's.

Back
Top Bottom