ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this plant earlier from my gf's friend and I'm not sure on what it is and how to take care of it, Any help would be great, thanks.

image-2143569491.jpg

Its a Hygro species. The common name is Temple plant. It is like any other stem plant, as far as maintenance goes. Light, and a little fertilized, and it will grow.

Hygros tend to show potassium deficiency before any other plant in a tank

Is it a low light plant or high light? I have LEDs that came with the tank from petsmart so i probably have low lights. I am also expecting to get another large one from this guy again in about a month

I'd say it might grow in low light but I've noticed with higher light the better it grows

I'd say it might grow in low light but I've noticed with higher light the better it grows

I've noticed with temple plants they like their leaves in open sunlight but shade around the base with a root tab and a fertilizer booster... They are kind of picky until they establish a root system, I had to float mine a lot

I've noticed with temple plants they like their leaves in open sunlight but shade around the base with a root tab and a fertilizer booster... They are kind of picky until they establish a root system, I had to float mine a lot

Well there are alot of roots on it extending from the bottom to about halfway up the plant

I started with a smaller stem like this and now this plant is a monster in my aquarium. It's huge, but is one of my favorite plants!

I started with a smaller stem like this and now this plant is a monster in my aquarium. It's huge, but is one of my favorite plants!

Gorgeous green temple!! I keep having issues with my red temples not rooting- should I keep them partially emerged until they root?

I didn't have issues with mine rooting, just stuck it in the substrate and let it grow. Now there's a huge root system. You could float the stem to see if it will start to root, but I would just plant it and let it be.

Back
Top Bottom