ID substance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird-and-Dad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I woke up this morning and I noticed this on some plant leaves.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422133620.297989.jpg

It's on a lot of different types of plants, too. Any idea on what this is? And what to do about it?

Thanks!

Looks/sounds like green beard algae.

I believe the causes are excess light relative to available nutrients, particularly nitrates. That's the cause of a lot of algae, anyway.

What are you doing for fertilizer/CO2? It looks like there's a tube on the right of your tank but I don't see a diffuser.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks/sounds like green beard algae.

I believe the causes are excess light relative to available nutrients, particularly nitrates. That's the cause of a lot of algae, anyway.

What are you doing for fertilizer/CO2? It looks like there's a tube on the right of your tank but I don't see a diffuser.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm doing 10 hr day, 14 hr night. I dose seachem flourish twice a week, and API root tabs weekly. I inject CO2 on a timer to match the light cycle. Diffusion is through a power head chopping up the bubbles.

Should I cut down the day time to 8 hrs?

I just cut my light down to 6 hours today cause I'm noticing an algae explosion on my wood. My tank gets decent ambient light so the less full light isn't an issue I think. Just did my first big prune today as well so growth is good.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom