ID this fungus please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This looks like Cladophora algae. I have some growing on my driftwood and I think it looks pretty good because it grows like moss and it is all over my driftwood. It tends to grow on driftwood and rocks directly exposed to light. Usually this algae just grows in one spot and doesn't spread to much. I do not believe there are any algae eaters that eat this type. If you want to get rid of it, up your CO2 and scrub it off!

It could also be beard algae, which can also be attractive in your aquarium. Beard algae usually comes about from having your lights on to long or to many nutrients. You can get rid of it with some siamese algae eaters, or by cutting down your lighting time and scrubbing it off!

This looks like Cladophora algae. I have some growing on my driftwood and I think it looks pretty good because it grows like moss and it is all over my driftwood. It tends to grow on driftwood and rocks directly exposed to light. Usually this algae just grows in one spot and doesn't spread to much. I do not believe there are any algae eaters that eat this type. If you want to get rid of it, up your CO2 and scrub it off!

It could also be beard algae, which can also be attractive in your aquarium. Beard algae usually comes about from having your lights on to long or to many nutrients. You can get rid of it with some siamese algae eaters, or by cutting down your lighting time and scrubbing it off!

Wow I'm surprised you like the look of it!! I hate it and I used to leave my lights on all day but now I only leave them on for about 8 hours a day.. I don't have co2 yet but I am going to make my own... Most people say that co2 won't help with fungus... And I have 2 oto cats and thinking of some amano and cherry shrimp... Will those help? And will turning the temp up or down help?

There is a big difference between algae and fungus. Mostly, fungi grow on wood when it's new and eventually go away. Shrimp & snails will both eat it.

Algae comes in many different forms, some of which are eaten by various critters, and some of which are not eaten, or only eaten by one or two critters. Those moss balls you see are actually a type of algae but not one that spreads, and nothing eats them that I know of. But they harbour plenty of infusoria that fish, shrimp and snails like to eat.

I am not sure what kind of algae that one is, but if you don't like it, tearing or scrubbing it off is the quickest way to get rid of it. Lighting as long as you did before encourages all sorts of algaes to grow, so it's good you reduced the light time. You could possibly reduce it to six hours for awhile, to see if that helps discourage this algae.

Edit: Amano shrimp are well liked because they do eat several types of algae , but they don't eat all types. Nor do snails or fish or other shrimps. I have seen reports that ramshorn snails will eat Black Brush Algae, but since I've never had it, I don't know for sure if that's correct.

If you happen to have any scuds, they are voracious algae eaters. I keep some in a small tank and drop any algae infested plants into that tank, where the scuds eat it all. Then the plant goes back in the main tank.. and often a few scuds too. Fish like to eat them, and I don't mind them, so I don't care if a few get into the big tank. The cories and loaches love them.

Back
Top Bottom