Ideas for a jar with spigot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilla4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The jar:
I found a jar approx 12 inches high and 8 inches in diameter in a second hand store. I'm guessing it's maybe 3 (or five?) gallons, I haven't tried measuring yet, I'm testing for leaks and will clean it of soap residue (I've already done this successfully for a smaller jar, so we'll see how goes).

Equipment:
I've not kept a tank in several years, so I'm not very up to date with what's available equipment-wise. I'm thinking I will need a mini heater, because my house gets cold (think 60s in winter). I'm not sure what to use for a light, but I might use a desk lamp. I'll probably keep the jar on the table a few feet from the window (which will probably be shuttered in winter to keep the heat in). A HOB filter is not going to work for this, I'm not sure at this point if I will go filterless or not.

Inhabitants:
My thoughts for inhabitants are ramshorn snails (or pond snails, because they "happen" anyway), two or three ghost shrimp, and then for fish I'm kinda partial to getting a betta, because they have a lot of personality, but in the past I've had a hard time keeping them alive (in ten gallons). I think it's not a big enough space for white clouds they seem to be fairly active (but I wouldn't need a heater for them), but maybe 4-5 rasboras might be content in there. I'm game for other suggestions.

Plants:
Not quite sure about what plants to put, this is always the tough one for me.

My other "tank":
I currently have a small glass (maybe 1 gal?) sun tea jar with a ramshorn snail, a couple of ghost shrimp and some cladophora algae balls. It's been up for a few weeks now, the ghost shrimp don't seem happy (turning white, when I had a ten gallon I'd add a single drop of marine iodine every now and then and that seemed to solve things, I'm not sure what I'd do for such a small tank though, and I'm in another state now with different water quality and different lft supplying the "ghost shrimp" so they might be different species). The snail has tripled in size and seems quite content. The jar sits by the window (I'm in seattle, so we're not talking a lot of sunlight), unheated. I'm not sure what we'll do for winter as the house can get into the 60s. I hope that I can find some narrow leaf java fern for it as well. I enjoyed growing that in a ten gallon that I had many years ago. The reason for the jars is that I move a lot, logistically tearing down tanks and figuring out how to keep everything alive is not going to go well, particularly as I don't have a vehicle and have to rely on renting something. It's kinda neat that I can just pick it up and go, and I'm intrigued by the idea of water changes using the spigot.

The jar:
I found a jar approx 12 inches high and 8 inches in diameter in a second hand store. I'm guessing it's maybe 3 (or five?) gallons, I haven't tried measuring yet, I'm testing for leaks and will clean it of soap residue (I've already done this successfully for a smaller jar, so we'll see how goes).

Equipment:
I've not kept a tank in several years, so I'm not very up to date with what's available equipment-wise. I'm thinking I will need a mini heater, because my house gets cold (think 60s in winter). I'm not sure what to use for a light, but I might use a desk lamp. I'll probably keep the jar on the table a few feet from the window (which will probably be shuttered in winter to keep the heat in). A HOB filter is not going to work for this, I'm not sure at this point if I will go filterless or not.

Inhabitants:
My thoughts for inhabitants are ramshorn snails (or pond snails, because they "happen" anyway), two or three ghost shrimp, and then for fish I'm kinda partial to getting a betta, because they have a lot of personality, but in the past I've had a hard time keeping them alive (in ten gallons). I think it's not a big enough space for white clouds they seem to be fairly active (but I wouldn't need a heater for them), but maybe 4-5 rasboras might be content in there. I'm game for other suggestions.

Plants:
Not quite sure about what plants to put, this is always the tough one for me.

My other "tank":
I currently have a small glass (maybe 1 gal?) sun tea jar with a ramshorn snail, a couple of ghost shrimp and some cladophora algae balls. It's been up for a few weeks now, the ghost shrimp don't seem happy (turning white, when I had a ten gallon I'd add a single drop of marine iodine every now and then and that seemed to solve things, I'm not sure what I'd do for such a small tank though, and I'm in another state now with different water quality and different lft supplying the "ghost shrimp" so they might be different species). The snail has tripled in size and seems quite content. The jar sits by the window (I'm in seattle, so we're not talking a lot of sunlight), unheated. I'm not sure what we'll do for winter as the house can get into the 60s. I hope that I can find some narrow leaf java fern for it as well. I enjoyed growing that in a ten gallon that I had many years ago. The reason for the jars is that I move a lot, logistically tearing down tanks and figuring out how to keep everything alive is not going to go well, particularly as I don't have a vehicle and have to rely on renting something. It's kinda neat that I can just pick it up and go, and I'm intrigued by the idea of water changes using the spigot.

Pictures please! These tanks sound really neat!

I tried this one time and everything died... That was when I knew nothing about aquariums though. I had nerite and apple snails I never did water changes and it was literally just a jar of spring water (with no aerator and no filter). They lived about a month and then they stayed still...for like a month...

NatureFish
????

That would be about 2.5g, the bare minimum for a betta. Additionally, a betta will absolutely need a proper filter and adjustable heater with a thermostat. It might not be a good match in that regards. It's definitely too small for any schooling fish.

I would maybe suggest something like red cherry shrimp. Colorful, more temperature forgiving, and much less poo.

That would be about 2.5g, the bare minimum for a betta. Additionally, a betta will absolutely need a proper filter and adjustable heater with a thermostat. It might not be a good match in that regards. It's definitely too small for any schooling fish.

I would maybe suggest something like red cherry shrimp. Colorful, more temperature forgiving, and much less poo.

I agree and disagree. Even if parameters are perfect bettas really need more room. The minimum size for a betta IMO is at least 5 gallons. And even then that's still pretty small. I would stick to snails and not fish unless you can find something tiny and undemanding. However there's several fascinating inverts out there such as cherry shrimp!

NatureFish
????

I agree and disagree. Even if parameters are perfect bettas really need more room. The minimum size for a betta IMO is at least 5 gallons. And even then that's still pretty small. I would stick to snails and not fish unless you can find something tiny and undemanding. However there's several fascinating inverts out there such as cherry shrimp!

Even on betta forums, there is a constant battle between 2.5 and 5g as the minimum, which is why I called it the bare minimum. I don't think anyone would call a 2.5g ideal. The footprint of a cylinder isn't becoming for a betta either, but shrimp could make use of the headroom better, assuming they've got things to climb on.

Even on betta forums, there is a constant battle between 2.5 and 5g as the minimum, which is why I called it the bare minimum. I don't think anyone would call a 2.5g ideal. The footprint of a cylinder isn't becoming for a betta either, but shrimp could make use of the headroom better, assuming they've got things to climb on.

I've seen both as well but that's just my personal preference. Shrimp sound like the best idea right now. However if its really slender shrimp may not like it unless you have things for them to climb up on. Even if its super slender as long as there's different levels to explore they should be fine.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom