Idiot-proof plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SherLar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, last evening, while browsing Craigslist pets, I saw a 29g complete set up, which included the fish: Tanganyikan shell dwelling cichlids. It was advertised for only $300.00, and never being one to turn down cheap cichlids, I called right away. My son and I picked it up this morning, still full of water, so thankfully, I didn't even have to transition the fish.
It has a basalt sand substrate, and standard T-5 fluorescent lighting. So, my question is, are there any simple, easy-to-grow live plants that will anchor ok in the sand, flourish with the simple lighting, thrive in high PH (8.4) water, and that don't require any special chemicals or additives that may harm the fish? Shellies, so I've read and been told, do well with some live plants in the tank, but are sensitive to many additives.

IMO only plants that would work are floating plants. Shells move the sanded around daily and the plants wouldn't stand a chance as they would immediately be torn out and would end up floating any way. Look into amazon frog bit, duckweed (be careful with that though!) and dwarf water lettuce.

No duckweed! We tried that in a couple of small ponds a few years ago. HAHA. Doesn't take long for a handful to become a morass.
What if I anchor the plants in small pots? Shellies are tiny fish, and wouldn't be able to move pots.

Back
Top Bottom