If it's not one thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone for being so helpful. it has certainly helped me come to a decision about the bio-media. Out of curiosity, what about carbon in the filter? I've heard some people don't use carbon at all unless they're trying to remove medication but I've always had carbon in all my filters. (admittedly not planted tanks)

No carbon unless you wahwah stinky or removing meds..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No carbon unless you wahwah stinky or removing meds..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Out of curiosity, why is that? I'm working off rather dated fish keeping information and am trying to update myself but I don't understand the reason for no carbon.

Out of curiosity, why is that? I'm working off rather dated fish keeping information and am trying to update myself but I don't understand the reason for no carbon.

It's because it becomes exhausted (rather, the pores are filled up...no more adsorption) easily. Water changes can do what it does for the most part. It is controversial whether or not it removed fertilizers intended for plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What natural habitat has no water changes? Even a pond has a significant amount of water flow and there is enough water mass for dilutes to disperse. Doing water changes actually makes our aquariums more of a natural habitat than having zero water change for months at a time which as I said just doesn't happen in nature

It's because it becomes exhausted (rather, the pores are filled up...no more adsorption) easily. Water changes can do what it does for the most part. It is controversial whether or not it removed fertilizers intended for plants.

Hmm, I suppose it would make sense that it could possibly take out fertilizers as it's sort of meant to take things out of the water. I guess I can just fill up the extra space in the filter with more floss or bio-media or something.

Hmm, I suppose it would make sense that it could possibly take out fertilizers as it's sort of meant to take things out of the water. I guess I can just fill up the extra space in the filter with more floss or bio-media or something.

Floss and/or biomedia is often used in its place. Some folks use purigen (chemical media, clarifier, supposed to be okay with ferts) whenever possible.

Floss and/or biomedia is often used in its place. Some folks use purigen (chemical media, clarifier, supposed to be okay with ferts) whenever possible.

Good thing I still have a huge back of floss then lol. Very helpful thank you

Copper and other micros I believe is the concern. Or anything using organic chelating agents. Interesting read I thought below.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/chelation

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/archive/index.php/t-11552.html?

Curious what others think. I believe this did get asked of Rivercats and there was no difference in tanks running carbon compared to as not.

Curious what others think. I believe this did get asked of Rivercats and there was no difference in tanks running carbon compared to as not.

Ooh, I might have to re-read that first one a few time to fully get it. There's a lot of information in that one... and on that site in general. I hadn't seen that one before... seems I'm going site spelunking.

I am in favor of weekly water changes.

But just FYI I got sick, had some minor surgery, etcetera... And completely stopped taking care of my tanks. No water changes hardly any feeding of the fish. I did lose some fish but after months of no water changes I still had some livestock that bounced back quickly and I still had some plants and even Shrimp !

If I did not have a HEAVILY planted tank I believe every single fish and shrimp would have died without water changes. Oh and the filter was off during big portion of that time as well. I'm not proud of it, I'm just letting you all know about this just to add to your info.

Before crashImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423600249.702623.jpg

AfterImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423600384.596440.jpg
I lost all of my stem plants. But Java Ferns, Mosses, Anubias, and Vallisnaria survived. The plants were doing fine until I had a light burn out. That was when I lost my stem plants and my nice crypts.

After the first water change the Vals went insane and started sending out runners all over the tank now it almost circles entire tank.

So that's why I have not been posting recent pictures. My tank looks terrible but my stock is very happy and is fat and doing very well. I will be trimming and cleaning this Tank and posting updates once it's looking more pic worthy.

RCS survived. CRS survived, but have since passed away due to old age. CPDs and Threadfin made it.
Lost my Cories and Otos. But the Otos were older at this point.

Current stock:
4.3 CPDs
0.1 Threadfin
4 C habrosus
4 C pygmaeus
RCS seeing berried females again

Will be adding Otos soon. Plus a couple more Threadfins.

Got some new Crypts. I have some Lindernia rotundifolia floating. I'll be planting that.

Here's my 2 cents. I have 4 planted tanks and 20 breeder tanks. My most successful tanks have a bottom layer of mineralized topsoil with sand and flourite over top. I used fine play sand, but would use coarse pool or blaster sand in the future. I have 3 types of filters I use, canister, hob, and mattenfilters. Each does well depending on what I'm trying to accomplish in each tank. For a 35 gallon planted hex I would use a filstar canister. They are incredibly easy to use and easily customized. But the main reason I would use a canister is because of the shape of a hex. You don't have to worry about hiding as many cords and tubes. I would also install an inline heater and sterilizer. And finally I would find some glass inflows and outflows. I would go with the poppy model because it is the only one that would not create a whirlpool. This would move everything outside of the tank and reduce the visual clutter that is associated with filters, heaters, etc. I would also attach white fabric on the back with Velcro and use a backlight. I have a lot of nano fish and they get lost in a dark blue or black background.

On ferts. With my mineralized topsoil I only need to add root tabs every 4 months. I make my own root tabs with osmocote plus and gel caps. On the rare ocassion I need to buy ferts, I purchase an organic blend of microferts from the local hydrophonics store. They also have a better selection of hoses, connectors, valves, and pumps.

I do a 30-40% water change every week. I carry a pretty heavy bioload.

Back
Top Bottom