If you were me, what would you do next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I started this fish adventure a little over a year ago and have come a long way and have learned so much. It all started with a 10 gallon tank for my then 5 year old with a couple of glofish and neon tetras, 2 tanks later and a lot of trial and error. I am ready to take a next step. I just got some plants in my 29g and not sure what I should do with them next. I don't know if I need to invest in Co2 or lighting, or what. I have been thinking of getting another fish too maybe, but not sure if I should get some to complete some of my fish that aren't in a complete school. Here is what I have now in my 29gal, if you were me, what would you do next?

29 Gallon tank with Aqueon 8000K Full Spectrum Daylight 17watt T8 bulb.
AquaClear 50 Filter and pool filter sand substrate.
Temperature set at 78F, and use airstone wall bubbler.

13 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
3 x Zebra Danio (Danio rerio)
2 x Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
1 x Julii Cory (Corydoras julii) (I think)
4 x White Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
2 x Albino Cory (Corydoras aeneus)

Anubias nana, Sword Plant, Lace Java Fern
planted Feb 2014 added root tabs.

Here is what it looks like right now.
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3A69%3Dot%3E2329%3D%3A8%3A%3D765%3DXROQDF%3E277%3A6%3C7%3C%3A%3B247ot1lsi

So I started this fish adventure a little over a year ago and have come a long way and have learned so much. It all started with a 10 gallon tank for my then 5 year old with a couple of glofish and neon tetras, 2 tanks later and a lot of trial and error. I am ready to take a next step. I just got some plants in my 29g and not sure what I should do with them next. I don't know if I need to invest in Co2 or lighting, or what. I have been thinking of getting another fish too maybe, but not sure if I should get some to complete some of my fish that aren't in a complete school. Here is what I have now in my 29gal, if you were me, what would you do next?

29 Gallon tank with Aqueon 8000K Full Spectrum Daylight 17watt T8 bulb.
AquaClear 50 Filter and pool filter sand substrate.
Temperature set at 78F, and use airstone wall bubbler.

13 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
3 x Zebra Danio (Danio rerio)
2 x Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
1 x Julii Cory (Corydoras julii) (I think)
4 x White Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
2 x Albino Cory (Corydoras aeneus)

Anubias nana, Sword Plant, Lace Java Fern
planted Feb 2014 added root tabs.

Here is what it looks like right now.
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3A69%3Dot%3E2329%3D%3A8%3A%3D765%3DXROQDF%3E277%3A6%3C7%3C%3A%3B247ot1lsi

Is it a 29G tall or long tank?

Looks pretty good for your stocking compatibility. As you mentioned filling in..., a couple Cories another Julii or 2 at minimum.

You might check to decide which fish you really want. Maybe one male Pearl or Sunset Gourami as a large fish.

As for the Danios, if you decide to make them a long term part of your tank, you should get a few more.

My suggestion would be to look at all our suggestions, make a decision on what colors and shapes and quantity of fish you think you want and then make sure you aren't going to be over stocked, and then keep adjusting to get it to work out.

I would add more Cories for the Albino too at least 1. They probably will hang out somewhat together, but they are really happier when it is really their own kind.

But I did notice it looks like your Windelov Java Fern on the right is planted in the sand. It is best to keep the brown stem part, the rhizome, that the leaves come out from above the substrate, like tying it to a Driftwood (DW ) or even a little river stone nestled into the sand. If you attach it to DW some people use a particular type gel super glue. I use fishing line made for fly fishing fly tying mostly. Others use 100% cotton thread so the plant has a chance to attach to the item it is on and eventually dissolve. This is good for these because they will attach roots to the stone or DW over time.

You could leave it in the sand just wiggle it up enough so the rhizome isn't buried.

I would start by finding plants to replace the artificial ones you have. And before you know it you will have a completely planted tank! And even happier fish. :flowers:

THEN...
46G Bowfront would be a nice tank so you could fill out the groups, and schools...always a bigger tank :angel: 40G breeder is a nice one with lots of space at the bottom for Cories. Just a thought. :D

Is it a 29G tall or long tank?

Looks pretty good for your stocking compatibility. As you mentioned filling in..., a couple Cories another Julii or 2 at minimum.

You might check to decide which fish you really want. Maybe one male Pearl or Sunset Gourami as a large fish.

As for the Danios, if you decide to make them a long term part of your tank, you should get a few more.

My suggestion would be to look at all our suggestions, make a decision on what colors and shapes and quantity of fish you think you want and then make sure you aren't going to be over stocked, and then keep adjusting to get it to work out.

I would add more Cories for the Albino too at least 1. They probably will hang out somewhat together, but they are really happier when it is really their own kind.

But I did notice it looks like your Windelov Java Fern on the right is planted in the sand. It is best to keep the brown stem part, the rhizome, that the leaves come out from above the substrate, like tying it to a Driftwood (DW ) or even a little river stone nestled into the sand. If you attach it to DW some people use a particular type gel super glue. I use fishing line made for fly fishing fly tying mostly. Others use 100% cotton thread so the plant has a chance to attach to the item it is on and eventually dissolve. This is good for these because they will attach roots to the stone or DW over time.

You could leave it in the sand just wiggle it up enough so the rhizome isn't buried.

I would start by finding plants to replace the artificial ones you have. And before you know it you will have a completely planted tank! And even happier fish. :flowers:

THEN...
46G Bowfront would be a nice tank so you could fill out the groups, and schools...always a bigger tank :angel: 40G breeder is a nice one with lots of space at the bottom for Cories. Just a thought. :D

Thanks for the advice, especially about the java fern, I'll get that fixed asap. Its a 29 tall. I think I am done with the danios when these guys have, umm well kicked the bucket so to say. I'm not sure exactly how old the 2 of them are since they came in the tank when I got it off CL last year. Such a fun little hobby. :)

If you go down more plants route i would only go for low light plants. I may be wrong but i think your lighting will limit you on a lot of plants. Fine for what you have already though ?

If you have the money to invest in new lighting and a pressurised co2 setup and plant fertilisers, then i would strongly recommend it. Ive had my first tank a little under 6months and i threw myself in at the deep end with a 'high tech' tank. I love it!! Not only is it a very interesting hobby but its also very challenging trying to bring out the reds, pinks and purples in certain plants

You have low light with that fixture. Plants that would grow in that tank would be Anubia's, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus that can be attached to driftwood or rocks, then Crypts and Jungle val could be used for planting in the substrate. If you add any Crypts you need to put root tabs under them as they are very heavy root feeders.

Back
Top Bottom