I'm new to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murphymt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello~

I'm interested in adding a plecostomus and some plants to my aquarium to keep my loach and molly company. I know they mainly like to suck on the algae and driftwood, but are there any particular plant types I could put in for a pleco to chew on? Hopefully with as little cost as possible on lighting/CO2 equipment if what I have will not suffice.
Here's the specs of my tank...

-20H Aquarium (20 Gallon High)
-Perfecto Hood supports 1x18" 15 watt NO bulb (currently a GE Aqua Rays Fresh & Saltwater Bulb)
-Standard Wal-Mart substrate
-6" air stone
-Visitherm automatic heater
-power filter
-chunk of driftwood

The water is pretty hard, neutral Ph.

I appreciate any help, I noticed you guys have a lot of info on this forum pertaining to the parameters for plants, just hoping for some straight answers for my individual setup and needs.

Welcome to AA!

For the most part, pleco's will not eat plants of any kind (which is good because I have several of them in my tank).

Pleco's do like and need vegetable matter so a diet of raw zucchini, cucumbers, squash along with algae wafers is fine.

Be careful choosing the type of pleco, most grow to 18", some will get to 30"+

Bristlenose pleco's stay small (~3"), as do rubber lipped (AKA Bulldog)

And mine only uproots plants, it doesn't eat them.

Common plecos will destroy plant leaves (not on purpose) but when the graze on the algae, they tend to rasp off edges of leaves. Wizard's idea is a good one. Rubberlipped, bushynose are both good choices.

Back
Top Bottom