Im sure you are tired of talking about this BUUTTT....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imcgary

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok for the 1000000000 th time. wich one is better ECO or seachem Florite?

it depends on a lot of factors if you ask me. Both are good products. ECO in general is considered better, but I don't really care for what it looks like.

Eco is better than Fluorite in most all respects IMO, but Fluorite is a good substrate. Eco has a finer grain which will help with most foreground plants. I had lots of trouble with root feeders in Fluorite.

is it ok to mix ECO to help offset some of the cost if so what ratio and with what and about how much do i need to cover 9 sq ft

I have used both and really the only thing that sets them apart (plant growth and root development being equal) is the dust that flourite kicks up when replanting. And for someone who changes the aquascape as often as I do it is very annoying.

The messiness of flourite is kind of annoying. I just had another go around with rinsing and soaking and rinsing and soaking and rinsing and soaking this stuff for a new set up. I think I finally found a better method because when I filled the tank, it didn't kick up too much dust.

I just like the natural look over the black eco.

Eco is more eye pleasing to some and allows plants to hold better, has no dust, supposedly cycles the tank fast. Although they both are nutrient packed flourite has more iron and will last longer but it also releases nutrients into the water column slower than eco.

Eco comes packaged in "live Heterotrophic bacteria" and "Liquid Amazon buffered Black Water" flourite does not. If you do go with Flourite, here is a tip that someone passed along to me:

Build a rinsing screen in your backyard to get rid of the dust using a piece of window screen/shade materials (can pick some up and your local hardware store) and bricks of cement blocks. The idea is to build an elevated sieve of sorts. Stack the bricks up perhaps 1-2 feet off the ground, place the screen over the bricks and place more bricks on top of the screen. You need to make sure that you are making a sturdy stack of bricks and not building a jenga tower. I use cinder blocks.

Pour your bag of flourite on the screen and hose it out... Remove and repeat with next bag, etc. You should end up with much less dust in the mix than the traditional rinsing in a bucket.

Back
Top Bottom