Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
Increased plant growth after switching to canister filter

I believe that switching my 30 gallon planted South American community tank from a Penguin BIO-Wheel 330 power filter to a Filstar xp1 canister filter has dramatically increased my plant growth. Since setting up the new filter over three weeks ago I have noticed that almost all of my plants have shown an approximately 50% increase in leaf size. This applies to my Amazon swords, my crypts and my dwarf sags. My tank has one Hagen CO2 system on it and my guess is that the elimination of all of the surface agitation has made the CO2 much more effective. I haven't changed any other elements of the setup including fish stocking levels, fertilizers or lighting (I dose with Flourish, Flourish Iron, Flourish Trace and Flourish Potassium and use Flourite as the only substrate). Has anyone else seen such a dramatic increase in growth?

By the way, I love my Rena Filstar canister filter and the Hydor ETH inline heater that I installed at the same time. I can't recommend this combination highly enough for anyone with a planted tank. My next big purchase will be a pressurized CO2 system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aut_0298.jpg (141.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg aut_0299.jpg (108.9 KB, 66 views)

Old 09-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sure! I trim once a week on my 20 once I switched but I also switched from DIY Co2 to pressurized. Pics look great!

Old 09-15-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Nice tank, glad everything is going well for you.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wow, that's one bright green tank .
i can't think of any other reason than decrease in co2 outgassing contributing to this growth. i'd guess better water quality might contribute to happier plants.

75g : Malawi
40g breeder: Planted community
29g : SA(change of plans...again)
20g : community ("given" to a friend)
tetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have read before that a bio-wheel may dissipate (injected) CO2 out of the tank. I have an Eclipse 5 gallon hex with a bio-wheel. It's low light (1.4 wpg) and I don't run CO2. Don't you have a 5 gallon hex too?

Those are beautiful pictures! It looks like the addition of the canister filter worked very well for you!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 30 gallon I mentioned above is my largest tank. I have a 5 gallon hex that is my smallest. I am in the process of planting it with dwarf sag and perhaps a dwarf sword as a centerpiece.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gene, out of curiosity, what lighting is over your 30g? I have dwarf sag in 2 tanks: 29g and 20g (long). the 29g has 1x55w pcf and it's sag is doing great. the 20g (long) has 2x20 nof, and the sag does not grow well. Just curious if the PC lighting will make that much difference!

www.ErnestJohn.com
workfortheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got a 96W 6,700K power compact fixture over the 30 gallon tank.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, that's some nice lush growth I've got a 30G with a 96w CF fixture over it too and it's a great setup. I use Rena Filtars with Hydor heaters on both of my planted tanks and I completely agree with you. No ugly components in the tank and clean, warm water. Perfect for plants

Tags
canister, canister filter, chi, filter, growth, plant, plant growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com