Increasing water flow in a small planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barliman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I'm in the late stages of setting up a 20-long planted tank. My filter, an Aquaclear 50, had been in the middle of the rear wall, providing good flow to both sides of the tank.

Recently, I had to relocate it to one side, but now the other end is almost still water. I've been told this isn't good for plants in that area, so I'm looking for advice on how to increase flow on that side. Here are the options I've considered:

1. Put an Aquaclear 20 from an unused 10g tank on the other side. The upside, aside from the flow, would be increased biofiltration from the media. The downside might be current that's too strong for the still-rooting stem plants there (Ludwigia), even if set to low.
  2. Add a small power-head to that side. I've looked, but can't find any that are specifically rated to include a 20g tank. Are even the smallest of these too powerful?
  3. An air stone. My last option, if only because my experience of airpumps is that they eventually get noisy.

Any advice welcome. :thanks:

I recently got an Exo Terra Repti Flo 350 pump for my tank. It is designed for terrariums with a large area of water, but I find it works perfectly well for the aquarium. It tends to get noisy on the low setting, however, so I always keep it on high - absolutely silent. It does give off a pretty strong flow, but as long as it's placed high enough and in the right spot of the tank, it should be fine. I sometimes turn mine off for feeding, sleeping, etc. but the fish seem to enjoy it :)

If a little noise doesn't bother you, the low setting should be perfect. High might even be better, considering that it would normally be used in bodies of water far smaller than 20, or even 10, gallons.

Hi all,

I'm in the late stages of setting up a 20-long planted tank. My filter, an Aquaclear 50, had been in the middle of the rear wall, providing good flow to both sides of the tank.

Recently, I had to relocate it to one side, but now the other end is almost still water. I've been told this isn't good for plants in that area, so I'm looking for advice on how to increase flow on that side. Here are the options I've considered:

1. Put an Aquaclear 20 from an unused 10g tank on the other side. The upside, aside from the flow, would be increased biofiltration from the media. The downside might be current that's too strong for the still-rooting stem plants there (Ludwigia), even if set to low.
  2. Add a small power-head to that side. I've looked, but can't find any that are specifically rated to include a 20g tank. Are even the smallest of these too powerful?
  3. An air stone. My last option, if only because my experience of airpumps is that they eventually get noisy.

Any advice welcome. :thanks:

You could put the other aquaclear in but dampen the outlet flow with a piece of sponge etc. Many people do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just an idea- You can also try making/ fitting a baffle at the outflow of your aqua clear 50. This may help divert the water around the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom