Information on that moss ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone used this in your tanks?I couldn t find info on specific dimensions etc.Is it big,is it small?Can it be cut into smaller ones?Anything you could tell me.I d like to add in my tank,probably for my shrimps to lie on.

https://www.aquariumhouse.gr/futa-enudreiou?product_id=695&filter=21,22,23,7

I'm surprised that no one rushed to mention this. A few months ago there was an ugly scare regarding these. The idea was that they carried something equivalent to the zebra muscle, a very destructive shellfish that's infested the Great Lakes. The information was that they could infest and pollute an aquarium and over time destroy local plumbing.

I don't know if these are from that same batch, though.

I'm surprised that no one rushed to mention this. A few months ago there was an ugly scare regarding these. The idea was that they carried something equivalent to the zebra muscle, a very destructive shellfish that's infested the Great Lakes. The information was that they could infest and pollute an aquarium and over time destroy local plumbing.

I don't know if these are from that same batch, though.
I think the infected moss balls came out of Ukraine. It wasnt a big news story over here, but i read it was a big issue in n.america.

I think a lot of aquarium fish and plants are farmed in central and eastern europe. Certainly ones headed for the UK are.

I think the infected moss balls came out of Ukraine. It wasnt a big news story over here, but i read it was a big issue in n.america.

I think a lot of aquarium fish and plants are farmed in central and eastern europe. Certainly ones headed for the UK are.

I'm seriously pleased that it turned out to be legend for us. I truly didn't look forward to explaining what happened to our village plumbing office and what it would take to fix it. :oops:

Marimo moss balls tend to come 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter and will grow, but very slowly about 1/4 inch per year so you can use the size to estimate its age. In the wild they can get 8 to 10 inches in diameter so they can live decades.

They are also sold as nano versions, i cant tell from the link what type of moss ball it is. I dont speak greek. I presume a nano moss ball is just a younger moss ball that will grow.

You can split a moss ball. Cut it in half, roll the halves into spheres and tie some thread around so it maintains its shape. There are youtube videos of this.

Moss balls can also reproduce, budding off new balls.

Looking up some stuff, some people keep them as pets, particularly in japan. Ideal first pets for young children.

jgUbuyE.jpeg

Ι have some drift wood and i thought maybe cutting it and tie some portions on the wood with fishing line.Will it grow,to look natural?Will my shrimps enjoy it that way?I tried finding some moss(not in ball form) but it is difficult for me to find from hobbyists in my area...

I think you can split up moss balls and glue or tie them to things. If you are looking to attach a moss to driftwood, then java moss would be better. Its a very common moss in aquariums. If you lived in the UK i could give you a bucket full. I throw loads of it away because its such a healthy grower.

Never kept shrimp but i know that shrimp like moss in the tank.

A personal aside: I ordered my Marimo's from Amazon as a slightly planted tank introduction. I was very pleased with the way they started to interact and grow. When I got the message that tossing them (using special measures to avoid starting an infection) and praying was a better idea, I learned that it was a type of seaweed! :eek:

I've had Marimo moss balls for years with no problems. They grow very slowly. I've heard many stories about them, from that news alert to throw them out (I didn't) to Betta fish using them as toys to roll around (mine doesn't). I had one that slowly weakened and came apart, becoming smaller ones. Rolling it together to form a big one is the advice, though that did nothing without cord to hold it together. They keep to form, so it's not a spreader onto rocks or driftwood.

These are some benefits of moss balls:

-They are snail-safe. Some fish, like goldfish, like to nibble on it. Shrimp love to rest on it
-Provides some oxygen, and sucks up nitrates
-Helps prevent algae, and harbors beneficial bacteria
-Adapts to high PH
-Requires almost zero maintenance, does not produce dead matter, almost impossible to kill, and reputedly some have lasted over a century

I haven't found a down side!

I was prompted to look around a bit by this thread and noticed that Amazon offers moss ball's from different suppliers. Since we can easily isolate a new batch now I'm going to buy some for the show tank.

Back
Top Bottom