input wanted on this setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAGlocker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys, I would like some input on what I think may be a good diy co2 setup for my newest tank. The tank in question is a 29gal tank, with approx 25 gal of water in it, substrate is 6 inches of pool sand in the bottom. For a filter i have a hot magnum running, also have a 72 watt cf fixture, which gives me approx 2.8wpg(i know med light no co2 neccessary). for the diy co2 I am thinking of running 2 or 3 juice bottles that measure out at 1.89 liters per bottle, this way i can change a bottle a week, to keep the co2 steady. these i will run into a 20 oz bottle to keep the "funky white stuff" from building up which i have always hated on my ladders. from here I was thinking of running the tube into the intake of my magnum to act as a diffuser, hope to get near or at 100% diffusion of co2 into the water. of course i will have check valves inline to keep water from backing into the bottles from the tank or from one bottle to another. does this sound plausible to you, and do you think it will give me a good steady flow of co2 with good diffusion into the water.

I used a piece of tubing from a gravel siphon to make a "spray bar" for my HOT so now it doesn't cause any surface agitation.

Every thing seems great except the substrate.I think 6 in. is too deep espeacially with sand,anaerobic spots will definintly occur.I believe it will compact too,restricting nutrient flow too. I suggest a thin layer when using a sand substrate. I suggest a 3 in substrate with 2 in of nutrient rich substrate(sometimes they are lighter),then 1 in of sand on top.Or use commercial substrate such as eco-complete or flourite.

I use pure sand too, but not 6 inches deep! If you're going with only sand, use just 3 inches or so. Your plants will be just fine. You also might consider fertilizer tabs at the base of the plants to keep them happy. Sand is quartz, which for plants means "no nutritional value" Fertilizer tabs are a d*mn sight cheaper than commercial substrate!

Your CO2 setup itself sounds perfect! I like the idea of the catch bottle to make sure that just CO2 reaches your tank. That's good thinking!

pool filter sand isn't fine grained sand. 6" is a bit much, but you're not gonna have the compaction issues you'd have if you'd used playsand for a sandbox.

Also, at 2.8wpg of power compacts, you definitely want CO2. You'd be treading on thin ice without it.
Anything over 2wpg will benefit greatly from CO2 injection. at 2.5wpg, you're asking for trouble if you don't use CO2 (or at least some Excel if its a tiny tank)

6 inches is way too deep. 2.8 watts of CF is high light and you will have to stay on top of you DIY Co2 or you will have problems. A layer of laterite or flourite beneath the sand would benefit your tank greatly. Also a dusting of peat before any substrate will help also. If you have other tanks use the mulm from them to help jumpstart the new one. Mulm is the gunk you gravel vac out. It is highly nutritious for plants and contains many, many bacteria. I would use a ceramic disc made by azoo or similiar. That will give you better Co2 levels.

well up date on the setup, didnt work out quite as planned today. lol but does anything ever. problem number 1....bad mix. have to get some better measuring spoons and cups. problem number 2.....not enough floss or other material in the magnum. plan on fixing everything tomorrow, will update on the setup once i have fixed my problems. as far as the plant tabs, i know, i plan on picking some up tomorrow while in town, another day off for me. will keep you updated on this.

Latest update, the setup is working fine, except for right now i am only running the one bottle. The lfs i went to today only had two decent check valves, as the ones I had didnt work worth crap. So tomorrow during lunch or after work will get a few more, and completely set it up. Have a nice steady flow of co2 going now, will give a update on the co2 ppm as soon as I get it completely set up.

No, i didnt change the depth of the substrate. wish I could post a pic, but as of right now i dont have a digital camera, maybe one day soon I will.

Naw, no reason to change it. I like the way it looks, and it isnt causing a problem. Actually started a thread on this subject already.

Well update on the setup. With running only the one bottle, I have 25ppm of CO2 in the tank according the the ph/kh calculator. Should raise slightly I would think when I hook the other bottle up. This is with a ph of 6.8 and a dkh of 5. no major changes in either ph or kh after hooking it up, but plants seem to be doing better.

Back
Top Bottom