inside the hood reflector thingies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I remember being told on here that my canopies were inadequate for plants because there was nothing to reflect the light. The suggestion then was to paint the inside of the hood white to reflect some of the light back down.

I am just wondering what everyone's opinion on this is... this was a long time ago, and I just randomly decided to paint one white last night (I also mowed down the jungle val that was blocking all kinds of light) to see what happens. I also thought, couldn't you just line the hood with tinfoil (shiney side out)? Wouldn't that work better even?

Thoughts?

Painting the inside of your canopy white is a good way to improve the amount of light is reflected into your aquarium.

Unfortunately Aluminum Foil is much better at scattering light than reflecting it. The problem is that it's almost impossible to get perfectly flat, so all those wrinkles and creases end up scattering the light.

Another option that does work pretty well is mylar. You can buy strips of the stuff, or even cut up a mylar ballon if you've got one laying around.

I generally just paint mine white, but on one I covered the inside with mirror, and that works well, it was kinda a pain though to resecure the lights back in it.

Back
Top Bottom