Interested in a planted tank, but the money!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
To simplify my post, I'm skipping tank setup/cycling stuff--that's already covered. For those that don't know, I have a 30 gallon tank with all the basic equipment.

Is a planted tank something that must be done all at once, or are there progressive steps that can be taken? If it can be done in steps, what would the logical steps be?

For example, get the substrate and hardy, low-light plants and stock with fish. A few months down the road, add CO2 and a couple more difficult low-light plants. After a few more months, upgrade the lighting and add the final bunch of plants.

One can use that routine. But then again unless you plan wisely you could end up spending more money in the long run. Lighting is the area where it's not wise to cut corners. And it's also the area where if you are not careful you can end up wasting a lot of money if you need to completely rework it.

I agree with rex, do good lighting to start with. You'll be way happier. With a 30 gallon you can start off with DIY co2, it will be better than none at all IMO. If you end up with lighting more that 3 wpg, you'll definitely want to start with c02. i think you're plan can work if you plan well and carefully

I agree, as I have slowly reworked a tank into a planted one, and wound up spending a lot more than I needed to. Get the best substrate you can and the best lighting for what you want to do.

Agreed, except that higher lighting and CO2 need to be done at the same time. If you crank light up from 1wpg to 2.5wpg and don't add CO2, you'll be fighting algae, and the plants will be stringy. Light and pressurized CO2 are the most expensive parts too. What you can do though, is buy all the lighting you eventually want, and install the fixtures/bulbs incrementally. This way you can drop the cash for lighting in one shot, but not use it all at once. A 30 gallon tank can use DIY CO2, so you can do that cheaply, and build it up to a bubble rate that keeps you at 25ppm.

This will give you time to select the plants you want to keep. How much light are you thinking of using? If you go with power compacts, 3watts per gallon is all you really need.

How much light are you thinking of using?

I'm talking with someone about getting cheaper lighting. 3 wpg PC is doable--I think the bulbs that would fit my tank are 96 watts? Actually, if I was to build my own canopy, what length should the PC bulbs be? My tank is 36" long.

I can setup a diy co2, I've done it before. But should I save up to eventually buy a compressed gas setup?

You should save up for a pressurized system. But even then it's not that much. If you shop carefully you will be in under $130 or so.

The eBay deal is not bad but given the choice I would go with a 96 watt kit from AH Supply. Their kit would run you right at $100 shipped and they come with all the little parts to mount it in your own canopy.

If you call AHSupply they will tell you exactly what you need, and what you don't need - I find them to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and most of all affordable.

As not being from a lot of money-(broke), I would just start with an awesome substrate, then add what you can afford. O.K. a HUGE tank and lots of substrate. Either way a good bottom-up, and you're set for years.

Back
Top Bottom