Interesting problems after switching to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jestes

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, just when I think I'm starting to get the planted tank thing figured out, I throw myself a curve ball.

I had to move a few weeks ago, so I figured I should probably rescape the tank while I had it torn down. I replaced the substrate with sand, and then rearranged the plants, and moved some to another tank. I've also noticed that the ramshorn snails seem to love burrowing into the sand. I'm assuming they're getting stuck, because I'm finding empty snail shells with some regularity. It looks like the cories uncovered them rooting around for food. I'm also having a problem with green water...

The tank is by a window, but the blinds are never open and there is a black backdrop on the back of the tank. I've turned the lights out in the room, and you can't see any rays of light hitting the water. The tank lights are on for 8 hours, EI ferts, and Co2. Before I moved, the tank was within 6 feet of a window, and got some direct sun when I had the window open. No green water then....

My theory is that the snails are getting stuck in the sand, dying, and the algae is feeding off the ammonia. I can't detect any ammonia with test kit though.

Anybody have any ideas?

When you moved, did your tank have to recycle? Often what happens is the live bacteria dies and you suffer a mini cycle which could be part of the cause.

Were all the other things (lighting, ferts and C02) exactly the same as your old place?

Hmm maybe that explains why I am finding empty snail shells in my tank with PFS substrate....

Is it possible that you are just having an algae bloom? I don't know a whole lot about ferts and all that but sometimes it jsut happens. I know you said you have light blocked from the tank but maybe you could just wrap a blanket or something around it for a few days to kill the algae? Don't know if that will interfere with your plants, however. What kind of sand are you using?

Zags, I did think about the mini cycle. It did recycle a little, but nothing much. The ammonia jumped to .25 for about a day, then went away and has stayed away. Everything is the same, except the lighting, but it's probably trivial. I have a nice looking wooden stand/hood now, and the hood has 2X54 T5HO lights already built in. The other light setup was a 2X54 T5HO, but the bulbs shared a common reflector. The new hood has separate reflectors.

Lacey,
I guess it could be just an algae bloom and not really related to the new sand at all. The thing that has me thoroughly comfusimicated is that I've checked everything that normally causes an algae bloom: ferts, lighting, CO2, ect. If this isn't related to the sand after all, what am I missing here? The sand is just good old pool filter sand from Leslies.

Back
Top Bottom