introducing plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breadlowry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all. I've got a 15 and 10 gallon tanks. I'd like to get a few live plants in there. I introduced a native plant and it doesn't seem to be doing well. The tank in fairly oxygen rich. I've got really good airation. Do i need to reduce my airflow to provide my plants with CO2?

Any input would be great. Thanks all, Bread

Couple of quick questions for you:

What type of lighting do you have?
What type of substrate are you using?
What type of plants do you want to grow?

Aquatic plants native to Indiana might not do well at tropical temperatures (I'm assuming your FW tanks are tropical).

I agree with savga, and also add that you probably don't have near enough light to support it. if you're still using the light that came with the tank, its only suited to growing a small handful of low-light plants.

hot dog. yall have been very helpful. I'm sure my lighting is insuficent, but the tank is right next tio a window that is left open 24/7. sustrate is probally 3 or 4mm gravel. I don't know about temp though?? Indiana waters can reach 75 degrees in the summer sun? But yeah, the tank is at 78 right now. Your probally right. Tropical plants would probally be a much better choice.
thanks, Bread

Just out of curiosity, do you know what the species of plant is?

Some natives are fine with tropical temps (jungle val, curly pond weed(potamogeton sp.)). I grow both of those in tanks and pond, both collected locally, they do fine.
Others above have stated all you other possble/likely problems.

Back
Top Bottom