iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patagonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i realised my plants arent doing too well in the tank so i went ahead and got the glass hood and added an extra light fixture...so in my 29gal tank i now have about 40w...and after reading a thousand different sites to diagnose whats wrong with my plants i came to the conclusion that they are lacking iron...the new leaves are pale yellow in color...so i got the nutrafin iron test and i got 0mg/L...i have seachem flourish iron...but im not quite sure how much to add...and i cant seem to be able to get that web page to calculate it for some reason...the bottle says 5mL for each 200L...but i read in the sticky that its better to dose a little bit everyday than the whole thing at once...any advice welcome...and THANKS!

When I dose Iron I put drops in with my water changes. It makes one of my Cories turn pink tho! So be careful :)

I dose my 30 gallon tank with 3ml of Flourish Iron six days a week. It does a great job with my Cryptocoryne wendtii "red".

does it matter how fast your plants are growing? because with the wattage that i have they are not growing much...and actually the only ones that are really nice looking and doing good are the anubias nana and the crypts... :roll:

Well the faster they grow the faster they consume the iron. Since you have a testing kit only put in what they use. Eventaully you will find the happy medium and not have to test so frequently.

Adding iron especially helps those plants with red leaves like Cryptocoryne wendtii "red". I dose my plants with iron that are under lighting with as little as 1.5 wpg. Just remember that iron oxidizes very quickly so dosing once a week probably isn't going to help much.

i have 2 crypts and a tiger lotus var. red so ill start dosing today and see how they do...thanks so much for all the replies...one last question...does overdosing iron hurt fish???

"...does overdosing iron hurt fish??? "

Yes, but I"m not sure at what levels. You will want to be very careful of accumulation in the tank. Best solution for that is large partial water changes per week.

chelated iron oxidizes quickly in an aquarium, which is why you see recommendataions for frequent dosing.

If you dose traces, and your trace mix contains some iron, don't dose iron separately on the same day...alternate them.

On a lower light tank, every other day for iron should be fine. If you are not seeing symptoms of an iron deficiency, then you should have plenty.

the thing is i see symptoms of iron deficiency...i only add 2.5mL of seachem flourish excel once a week when i change the water...im really scared of overdosing anything and end up with green beautiful plants and a bunch of dead fish... :roll: ill start dosing it slowly and see what happens...all replies are really appreciated :wink:

Back
Top Bottom