Is 324 watts to much for a 100gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMAN12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is 324 watts to much for a 100gal tank? It's 4' long, 2' 1/2" tall, and 15" wide. Is it too much light? I'm using 6xt5 HO 54 watt bulbs.

I have no experience with the situation of a tank that big, but it sounds about right. To sufficiently light a tank that large you would need more light, bigger tank, bigger fixtures. Good luck to you, hope someone more experienced will chime in.

No, that will put you in the 'high' light tank parameter, 3 watt/gal. With the depth of the tank being deeper than most tanks, the extra light will help pass through water column where light can be consumed by particles. My only concern with the wattage is having the proper CO2 and temp. levels to go with it. For the most part, having those 3 parameters equal will be best for a planted tank (not considering nutrients for food).

Atxpunx said:
I have no experience with the situation of a tank that big, but it sounds about right. To sufficiently light a tank that large you would need more light, bigger tank, bigger fixtures. Good luck to you, hope someone more experienced will chime in.

Thanks

mohican said:
No, that will put you in the 'high' light tank parameter, 3 watt/gal. With the depth of the tank being deeper than most tanks, the extra light will help pass through water column where light can be consumed by particles. My only concern with the wattage is having the proper CO2 and temp. levels to go with it. For the most part, having those 3 parameters equal will be best for a planted tank (not considering nutrients for food).

I'm gonna have my temp at 82 and for the co2 I'm gonna have it at 3 seconds per bubble. I'm using substrate too

Back
Top Bottom