Is 3wpg enough to "bring out the reds?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning a high-light 75g with a 4x55W kit from ahsupply.com (2.9wpg). I know 3wpg is enough to grow anything I want. But is it enough to grow them nicely? I want a nice low glosso carpet and I also want to grow some nice red plants.

Is 3wpg enough to "bring out the reds"?

Thanks for the tip, LWB. I knew CF gave more light but did not know it was that much more.

Even T8 bulbs are far brighter/watt then T12's.. Even looking at the package for the same bulb (philips daylight deluxe) the T12 is 2300 lumens @ 40w (57Lumens/watt), T8 is 2800lumens @ 32w(87.5Lumens/Watt).. the difference is amazing. T5/CF are only slightly more intense then a T8..

no need to go above 4x55w PC's on a 75gallon, unless you wanted to add a 40w NO actinic bulb in the mix to enhance fish colors and the blue plant spectrum a bit.

Glosso will carpet fine in that lighting if you keep it maintained and plant it properly to begin with.
Many red plants, its as much a factor of low low nitrates as it is high lighting. 3wpg meets the lighting needs...keeping NO3 low enough for sp. like Rotala Macranda...thats the tricky part.

A few sp. like alternatha renekii does fine with high nitrates...rather adequate iron levels (and lighting) are what keeps it red instead of rusty brown with green twinges.

Back
Top Bottom