Is a £40 CO2 system really worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basefrog

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 5 plants a few days ago and i am worried that they might die.. In the past all other plants i have had have died.. However i was looking into a CO2 system and they seem brilliant at not only keeping healthy plants but stopping algae growth, but i don't know if it's worth spending soo much just for the sake of 5 plants?

Any suggestions? thanks =)

Basefrog said:
I bought 5 plants a few days ago and i am worried that they might die.. In the past all other plants i have had have died.. However i was looking into a CO2 system and they seem brilliant at not only keeping healthy plants but stopping algae growth, but i don't know if it's worth spending soo much just for the sake of 5 plants?

Any suggestions? thanks =)

What kind of lighting do you have? That's the first thing to look at IMO. That kinda determines what plants you can keep, because co2 won't help if you have poor lighting. There's also ferts to look at before co2. I'd say save your money and get the steps right first.

What kind of lighting do you have? That's the first thing to look at IMO. That kinda determines what plants you can keep, because co2 won't help if you have poor lighting. There's also ferts to look at before co2. I'd say save your money and get the steps right first.

I have a "SUN-GLO" 20W light and an "AQUA-GLO" 20W light. So IMO the lighting is pretty good. To be honest they are healthy atm but i want to keep them that way.

Basefrog said:
I have a "SUN-GLO" 20W light and an "AQUA-GLO" 20W light. So IMO the lighting is pretty good. To be honest they are healthy atm but i want to keep them that way.

In what size tank? Are they NO or HO? What's the K rating on them (kelvin)? The name doesn't really tell me what spectrum they are, but it sounds like they should be OK. Like I said before, co2 is the last step to take.

Go to plantgeek.net and find your plants, it'll say what they need to grow/flourish.

I keep my plants at the low to med range because I don't want to get into over priced dirt, dosing half a dozen ferts everyday and countng bubbles on a $300.00 (?) co2 system lol.

In what size tank? Are they NO or HO? What's the K rating on them (kelvin)? The name doesn't really tell me what spectrum they are, but it sounds like they should be OK. Like I said before, co2 is the last step to take.

Go to plantgeek.net and find your plants, it'll say what they need to grow/flourish.

I keep my plants at the low to med range because I don't want to get into over priced dirt, dosing half a dozen ferts everyday and countng bubbles on a $300.00 (?) co2 system lol.

It's 20 Gallons i think. Had the tanks YEARS so not too sure, but it's big! =P Sorry i couldn't tell you what gas is in them nor what their K rating is as i have thrown away their boxes =/ But i know that the "AQUA-GLO" on intensifies fish colours and promotes plant growth.

Thanks for the web link though. And true i'd rather not going into the expensive and effort labour route just for the sake of a few plants! >.<

I recently got a lot of plants in my 55 gal and the place I got them from recommended CO2. I didn't want to spend the cash so I never did. As the plants had not been doing that great I added a DIY system made with two plastic bottles and airline tubing. I can see the difference after just a few days and only cost me the price of the airline. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Last edited:
I recently got a Loy of plants in my 55 gal and the place I got them from recommended CO2. I didn't want to spend the cash so I never did. As the plants had not been doing that great I added a DIY system made with two plastic bottles and airline tubing. I can see the difference after just a few days and only cost me the price of the airline. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks that would be great! So what do you use to control the flow of CO2?

Here's the info on the DIY CO2 system I built

Well, the system is very simple, its an old bottle of apple juice, rinsed out and filled with 2 cups of sugar and with water (~75F temp) up to about 3/4 of the way. Added a packet of baker's yeast, and within an hour or two you start getting CO2. I just took a drill bit and cut a hole just small enough to make it hard to get the airline in it but large enough not block it, so its a sealed pressure fit. It goes into another smaller plastic bottle (the buble counter) of my favorite energy drink that had two holes drilled in it. This was also rinsed and filled with water about half way. The line from the apple juice bottle goes in it almost to the bottom, and the second line is only partly inserted so it stays out of the water and takes the CO2 that bubbles out to the tank. This line then has an old plastic medicine container that had yet another small hole drilled in its bottom. I put it upside down in the tank and cut a hole on the side. This hole is about 1" square and is half way top to bottom on the container. When it is upside down, it creates a small "bell" to keep the CO2 contained, and the hole on the side is about 2" from the outlet of my canister filter which keeps throwing water at it. What I get is a bell full of CO2 with a constant stream of water hitting it which creates a lot of turbulence and dissolves a lot of the CO2.

Although I could have put one of the airline control valves on the line, I didn't as the pressure would build up and cause a leak somewhere else. Anyway, it is not needed as Whatever is extra just bubbles out the bell to the top of the tank. The release of CO2 is slow and steady. I get a nice bubble every 1-2 seconds, and can definitely tell it is dissolving as there is a lot less bubbling to the top of the tank than the bubbles I see going into the bell.

I thought of taking this concept one step further and building an in-line CO2 reactor for my canister filter with parts from the hardware store. I went there last weekend and started looking at parts, putting them in the cart and adding up a total. It would have cost around $20 to make, including pvc glue and all fittings. I thought about it and then put everything back, the system I got dissolves a lot of CO2 and the only drawback is the small pill bottle in my tank which is visible and a bit out of place. I may still do this later but in the meantime I put the money to better use and ordered other supplies for my angels.

The yeast and sugar bottle produces CO2 for about two to three weeks, after which a recharge of sugar and Yeast brings it back online... :)

Here is a link to pics of the system. It will give you and idea of what it looks like, these pics were of what I did at first when I was trying to use fittings, and stuff. These kept falling off, so I simplified and just used friction fitted airlines at the end and kept it much simpler and thus much more reliable.

Attachments

• Juice Bottle.JPG
    Juice Bottle.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Hole in Cap.JPG
    Hole in Cap.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 89
  • Pill Bottle.JPG
    Pill Bottle.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 94
Here is a link to pics of the system. It will give you and idea of what it looks like, these pics were of what I did at first when I was trying to use fittings, and stuff. These kept falling off, so I simplified and just used friction fitted airlines at the end and kept it much simpler and thus much more reliable.

Thanks you for your very detailed solution. This seems worth giving it ago at least. How ever I think that if it isn't any trouble you could maybe make a video and post it on youtube. I'm sure many others will get alot out of this as it saves a [moderator edit] lot of money. Once again thanks! =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Video on the DIY CO2

Ok Mr. Basefrog and anybody else who might find it useful. I know when I was doing my research I found some CO2 reactors that worked with a small water pump or in-line, etc. and thought that maybe they were a bit too much trouble. So just playing around with a few parts I had laying around and information on the net I came up with the design in the video. I hope you enjoy it and find it useful.

Here it is at work:

YouTube - DIY CO2 system for planted aquarium

Here it is in a detailed explanation:

YouTube - DIY CO2 system - Detailed

Have fun making your own.

Jorge

Great stuff, show what you did! :)

Here is what I did =) Pretty much the same as what you have done. Though I used silicone around the joints to prevent any leaks and attached the final outlet to a little pumps air source. I already had the pump from my very first fish tank so it was no additional cost to me.

There is one thing I can't seem to get right and it's the mixture of sugar and yeast. I followed your guide and I only get a bubble every 30-40 seconds. Did you ever have this problem? maybe i could add more yeast?

Attachments

• SS101354.jpg
    SS101354.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 65
  • SS101355.jpg
    SS101355.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 57
  • SS101367.jpg
    SS101367.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 54
  • SS101362.JPG
    SS101362.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 61
Yes, that's perfect. A powerhead's air inlet is also a great place to put this.

Give it a full 48 hrs for the best CO2 production to start. Temp plays a big role. I keep mine room temp, which is about 70F. If you want it to produce faster than that, you can also "activate" the yeast by first dissolving in a half a cup of 80F water. Also, a pack of yeast has about 1tsp in it, and be sure it is "live" yeast. Your basic, traditional baker's yeast.

Like I said, give it some time and it will get a bit better. You can even give it a bit of a shake to make sure it is dissolved well and producing the gas.

I just went through your pictures again and it's hard to tell with the green bottle but you may in fact be light on the yeast. When I mix mine I get a thicker looking solution.

I see thanks =) I had originally only put in 1/4 tbs of yeast. I have now just added a good load more and it is now bubbling away nicely at a rate of about 1 bubble per 3-4 seconds.

Now fingers crossed my plants will stay looking healthy! :D

CO2 can change PH, so please monitor

So I've noticed the PH on my planted tank with the DIY CO2 is lower than I expected, and to my good fortune its around 6.5, which is what my angelfish love. I do however, want to give a link to this article I found that explains what is going on, you should check it out and also anybody else that puts in any type of CO2 system in their tanks.

Freshwater-Aquarium-Fish.com - Do-it-yourself CO2

This info can be critical to anybody keeping fish that need higher PH levels.

Back
Top Bottom