is anything easy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schpanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've never had plants in my tank. I have to cycle a new tank now. I would like some plants. LOW LIGHT plants, nothing crazy (Anubia, java fern/moss ect). I understand that if I get superb lighting I'll need to add C02 or have a huge algae problem.

The question I can't seem to find an answer to is.... lets say I get some Eco-Complete type substrate...and do nothing else, but throw some low light plants in it, Same crappy lights, no C02. THE QUESTION IS...WOULD SUBSTRATE ALONE THROW MY TANK DOWN THE TUBES? Can substrate throw a tank out of balance? All I want is a few plants. Nothing fancy. Or should I just stick a couple of plants in my sand and not really care, just watch them for a week until they die?

Thanks. :fish1:

Planted tanks main focus is in fact lighting. If you want plants that grow under even the worst lighting look at Anubias and Java Fern, they are almost indestructible.

The main goal of planted substrates IMO is for the root feeders. These substrates such as Eco complete capture and hold nutrients for long periods of time, unlike standard substrate which is inert.

What lighting fixture do you have?

I have a whole list of low light plants but it won't make a difference if it's just some crappy T8 bulb on a tall tank.

Caleb

yeah it's a crappy T8. I've been looking at some REALLY expensive LED's but not sure I'm that invested in wanting to go planted.

Just get a T5 bulb then. They are much brighter. Just make sure it fits your light fixture.

Caleb

I have had a crappy t8 over an 18" deep tank with sand ... Anubias and Java fern and crypts ...

No issues, they did well for a year growing slowly.

Now they grow a little more in a 24" deep tank with the crappy T8, some very cheap LEDs, and sand. The crypts and swords get root tabs and now I use some Excel.

I find with dim lights, a longer photoperiod helps. This is a classic Oregon trick - we plant "full sun" flowers In shade because our summer days are freaky long. I know everyone says this is terrible in an aquarium due to algae but I just leave them till I get some algae starting then dial back the photoperiod an hour till the algae quits.

The thing about the low tech, low light tank is that nothing goes badly quickly.

The fancy substrate would be absolute overkill IMO. Even if you plant crypts I'd go with cheapie root tabs under them and stick with sand.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I've never had plants in my tank. I have to cycle a new tank now. I would like some plants. LOW LIGHT plants, nothing crazy (Anubia, java fern/moss ect). I understand that if I get superb lighting I'll need to add C02 or have a huge algae problem.

The question I can't seem to find an answer to is.... lets say I get some Eco-Complete type substrate...and do nothing else, but throw some low light plants in it, Same crappy lights, no C02. THE QUESTION IS...WOULD SUBSTRATE ALONE THROW MY TANK DOWN THE TUBES? Can substrate throw a tank out of balance? All I want is a few plants. Nothing fancy. Or should I just stick a couple of plants in my sand and not really care, just watch them for a week until they die?

Thanks. :fish1:

To answer your question, yes certain substrates can throw your tank out of balance. Sand (most of the time) and EcoComplete will not do this, however. For your purposes I would just keep using whatever sand you are using now and simply supplement with root tabs. If you switched to EcoComplete you would need to supplement with root tabs anyway too as that particular substrate itself does not actually contain any initial nutrients. Root feeders like crypts will need root tabs to thrive. As already mentioned by trennamw your current light will probably do ok in keeping your plants alive and such, just growth will be slow. If you'd like to get a tad bit more into planted tanks share with us your budget and we can suggest some nice lighting suggestions for you that won't break the bank.

Thanks. I don't want to spend over 300 on a light, it has to go over a 55gal. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? I'll look into T5's. Anything else?

The huge pain is the fact that I have to cycle this tank, which is time consuming enough.

CAPS LOCK (to emphasize my next big question)...ADVICE ON CYCLING A NEW TANK WITH PLANTS... WHAT ROLE WOULD PLANTS HAVE IN CYCLING A NEW TANK? I have a rough understanding of the nitrogen cycle, but no experience in relation to (attempting to cycle) a planted tank. I will be using established filter and media, established sand, and well-established Mopani wood. Any experience?

Besides checking levels daily, any guesses on how long it would take to cycle with all-used media? Also, no experience with C02. I'd be doing Excell most likely.

300? That's easy! The new Finnex 24/7 just came out and let me just say is amazing! You could get a 48 inch for $131 on Amazon right now :)

I run one on my 10g and it's done wonders for low and medium light plants:

http://i.imgur.com/CLFcSSK.jpg

Caleb

Thanks. That's an acceptable price also I really love the settings. I'm super excited about this light. $131. Not bad!!!:thanks:

Thanks. I don't want to spend over 300 on a light, it has to go over a 55gal. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? I'll look into T5's. Anything else?

The huge pain is the fact that I have to cycle this tank, which is time consuming enough.

CAPS LOCK (to emphasize my next big question)...ADVICE ON CYCLING A NEW TANK WITH PLANTS... WHAT ROLE WOULD PLANTS HAVE IN CYCLING A NEW TANK? I have a rough understanding of the nitrogen cycle, but no experience in relation to (attempting to cycle) a planted tank. I will be using established filter and media, established sand, and well-established Mopani wood. Any experience?

Besides checking levels daily, any guesses on how long it would take to cycle with all-used media? Also, no experience with C02. I'd be doing Excell most likely.

When I did my fishless cycle I put all the plants in beforehand. I felt like it helped speed of the process a bit...I don't know if that is verifiable fact...but it certainly didn't hurt. Plus it gives you something nice to look at while waiting to add fish. (y)

When I did my fishless cycle I put all the plants in beforehand. I felt like it helped speed of the process a bit...I don't know if that is verifiable fact...but it certainly didn't hurt. Plus it gives you something nice to look at while waiting to add fish. (y)

They certainly don't hurt the cycle. I can't verify they help in a fishless cycle though. Like you said though you have a month to play with plants just how you want them while waiting on fish!

Caleb

Plants help. A forum or Google search for "silent cycle" should net a lot of info as to why.

To answer your question, yes certain substrates can throw your tank out of balance. Sand (most of the time) and EcoComplete will not do this, however. For your purposes I would just keep using whatever sand you are using now and simply supplement with root tabs. If you switched to EcoComplete you would need to supplement with root tabs anyway too as that particular substrate itself does not actually contain any initial nutrients. Root feeders like crypts will need root tabs to thrive. As already mentioned by trennamw your current light will probably do ok in keeping your plants alive and such, just growth will be slow. If you'd like to get a tad bit more into planted tanks share with us your budget and we can suggest some nice lighting suggestions for you that won't break the bank.
The substrate I used in many of my tanks is of some Chinese brand, I forgot the name. I was told its much better than ADA. Anyways, that substrate releases ammonia, it is really great to start a tank and have it cycles by itself.
So yes, the substrate can throw a tank chemistry out of balance.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The substrate I used in many of my tanks is of some Chinese brand, I forgot the name. I was told its much better than ADA. Anyways, that substrate releases ammonia, it is really great to start a tank and have it cycles by itself.
So yes, the substrate can throw a tank chemistry out of balance.

Yup, the ammonia leaching is important but also the ph buffering of many aquasoils will alter the chemistry of a tank. ADA Amazonia is an extremely good substrate, probably the best. There are many brands that are comparable I'm sure but no other substrate has yet to be adopted by the planted tank community as better or best.

So...okay...the substrate is sore of a big deal to me. I'm going to start this tank soon, and I definitely don't want to decide to change from sand to substrate down the road from now. I have to figure this out. Maybe I should just start with substrate as I have to take a month to cycle this tank anyway. What if I get really into this? I test ph and ammonia, what other tests will I need to run before adding fish?

I was looking at Excell. Do you have to dose everyday? I'm pretty sure that's what I read. Time will tell. If I have any luck maybe C02 tank in future. I love this hobby.

So I ordered that Finnex 24/7. I will use liquid C02 for now. Any advice on liquid fertilizers? I saw something you put down below your gravel (clay like?) but can't remember the name. Any input on that?

Oh yeah, more stupid questions...no more bubble wall right? And what type of hood do you guys use? I'm NOT handy, so no "do it yourself screens." Do you prefer plexi glass lids or screens, and do you have any recommendations?

Thank you so much for any and all help:popcorn:

How many bags of ADA Amazonia aqua soil would I use for a 55 gallon tank? A bag is 9 liters. Each time I buy substrate I WAY over estimate and get enough for two tanks.

Never mind, it's 1 bag for a 15 gallon tank, did the math, gonna get 4 bags. :fish1:

4 bags is about right. I used 6 bags for a 48x18 area to have a but over 3 inches of substrate. I also out sand under the substrate to save a bit. So its half and half.

since you got a finnex light, you probably would have to go hoodless.

Excel flourish is liquid co2 BTW..

You need to test everything for fishes... Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH are minimum.
Then you can look at GH/kh hardness.

Thanks, I understand Excell is liquid. I was just wondering if you need to dose every day. Then I was thinking that if I have any luck I would move up to a tank in the future.

Excel/glut breaks down in around 12-24 hours so yes ideally it is dosed daily.

Just a quick note about ADA aquasoil. It is arguably the best substrate, yes, but is it the best substrate for you? That's what you need to look at it because filling a 55 gallon with it will be extremely expensive and you could also use that money toward something else, like a light or a co2 system. If you're going lowtech there is nothing wrong with just using budget substrates like sand, EcoComplete, flourite, montmorillonite clay, etc with supplementation with DIY root tabs.

Back
Top Bottom