Is it normal for new plants to melt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just added some new plants into my established tank on Wednesday and today I've noticed my Anubias' leaves are beginning to turn clear and some of my Sagittaria leaves are fading away. I dosed the tank with Seachem Flourish and put root tabs in the gravel and they're under 144 watts in a 60 gallon tank. Are they just adjusting to their new tank? Image1482608682.519968.jpg
Image1482608760.156330.jpgImage1482608845.078144.jpg

They are probably reacting to a significant drop in co2 availability. There are other parameters that may induce this also.

The most important thing is to watch for new growth over the next few weeks. The plant MAY start to put out new leaves that are more suited to the new environment. If no new growth occurs or the plants seems to just survive then it's time to consider adding some liquid carbon.

This thread may help explain things further.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/do-i-have-enough-co2-a-closer-look-351974.html

Yes they are juat adjusting to new tank.

Every aquarium has unique water chemistry. Thus plants grow unique leaves to be specific filters.

Every aquarium has unique water chemistry. Thus plants grow unique leaves to be specific filters.[/

That's a relief to hear. My Anubias is nothing left but a stub lol. Assuming new leaves will sprout within a couple of weeks? Image1482716355.317565.jpg

there should be signs of new growth already. that image i dont see any new shoots just yet. is the plant yellow tinged? or is it just my eyes?

There's no yellow. Just darker green and then a lighter green. Sorry, my phones camera quality isn't the best haha.

Every aquarium has unique water chemistry. Thus plants grow unique leaves to be specific filters.[/

That's a relief to hear. My Anubias is nothing left but a stub lol. Assuming new leaves will sprout within a couple of weeks? View attachment 292298

If that that anubias rhizome is still firm and green, not mushy at all, then I would definitely expect new leaves to sprout :)

Anubias is very hard to kill, I actually have a tiny leafless anubias rhizome that was left out of water for days and it seems to still have some life in it!

Back
Top Bottom