Is it possible to have too many plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishless cycle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi

I have a 180 litre tropical tank with:

6 dwarf neon rainbowfish
6 harlequin rasbora
4 bumblebee gobies (freshwater)
7 neon tetras
7 male guppies

I have one or two male guppies that bully one other guppy so I moved the weaker one to a hospital tank to give him a break. I read somewhere that you should add lots of plants so the guppies can hide from each other. The tank I've put the 'picked on' guppy in is only 19 litre so I want to get him back soon really. I'm worried when I put him back they'll go for him again.

I've attached a pic of my 180 litre tank. Should I get some taller plants and dot them around. I don't add anything to feed the plants (the tall ones at the back are artificial) and they seem to be doing well anyway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...?

Many thanks

Attachments

• image-3523239484.jpg
    image-3523239484.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 194
I think it looks great. You need to get some suction cups for your heater and maybe try either spacing the plants out more on back or get another tall one. What do you think about driftwood? We got some down at our local river, put it through the dishwasher with no soap and drilled pieces of granite or slate to it. Just some ideas! And I forget but if you have any plecos they love driftwood!

I think it looks great. You need to get some suction cups for your heater and maybe try either spacing the plants out more on back or get another tall one. What do you think about driftwood? We got some down at our local river, put it through the dishwasher with no soap and drilled pieces of granite or slate to it. Just some ideas! And I forget but if you have any plecos they love driftwood!

Thanks for your help. My heater is already stuck to the back of the tank using suction cups.... if that's what you mean.

What's the difference between driftwood and bog wood? I have a tiny catfish that I bought - he's in my small tank at the moment and I want to add him in a day or two to my 180 litre tank. I think he'll want driftwood... I'm near a river so I might get some over the weekend - could I just boil it, rather than put it in the washing machine?!

I'll space the plants out more and maybe add some tall plants to the middle - that way the guppies can hide from each other more. I've just moved my bully guppy to my small tank. Think I may have to return him to the lfs - he bullied one of my guppies to death a couple of weeks ago and has been at another one recently. He's not liking the 19 litre I've put him in on his own. Not if he'll survive in such a small tank?

I think adding a background would make the plants, and fish pop.
Everything else looks good to me

I think adding a background would make the plants, and fish pop.
Everything else looks good to me

Thanks - there is a black background but the glass is reflecting my window in the photo!

I do have some wood in the tank but its hidden behind the plants.

Driftwood comes from water, bogwood comes from a big and it's in the earlier stages of fossilization. So it's more like rock. Harder and driftwood tends to be softer.. You could use either though. And yes boiling works you just want to make sure it's sterile ! Dishwashers are just easy and big in case you find a cool big piece! Be careful with any kind of cat fish because some grow large and will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. As for your guppy is it male or female? I would try to just keep males because they tend to be less aggressive.. Correct me if I'm wrong. And sometimes you just have a mean fish for whatever reason. Either let him stay in the smaller tank or give him back. But all guppies at least in my experience can be a little nippy!

Be VERY careful with wild driftwood. I wouldn't recommend just putting it through the dishwasher. I would soak it in a mild bleach solution for 24 hours, then clean water with an airstone to blow out the bleach first. Just a suggestion.

Driftwood comes from water, bogwood comes from a big and it's in the earlier stages of fossilization. So it's more like rock. Harder and driftwood tends to be softer.. You could use either though. And yes boiling works you just want to make sure it's sterile ! Dishwashers are just easy and big in case you find a cool big piece! Be careful with any kind of cat fish because some grow large and will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. As for your guppy is it male or female? I would try to just keep males because they tend to be less aggressive.. Correct me if I'm wrong. And sometimes you just have a mean fish for whatever reason. Either let him stay in the smaller tank or give him back. But all guppies at least in my experience can be a little nippy!

Thanks - I asked the lfs and they said bog wood and driftwood were the same thing! I have male guppies only. I thought bristlenose catfish only ate veg? I'll keep an eye on him as he grows. Thanks for the advice.

I think you're referring to a bristlenose plecostomas. Technically a catfish, but only in the way that discus are technically cichlids. Their behavior is not typical of catfish. You should be good.

Bristle nose pleco are exactly what person above said. Technically but not the regular predator type. Plecos in general love wood. It's actually dangerous to get fake wood and stuff because they'll eat it! So be careful if you purchase any wood in case it has chemicals. And plecos are actually omnivores, we have 8 baby blue eyes albino 1 bristle albino 1 regular albino a royal pleco and a clown pleco and they all eat various things. We have algae wafers, omnivore wafers shrimp pellets cucumber and zucchini and blood worms I've seen them eat. Plus they love to chew and eat the driftwood. You actually can see where their little tooth chisels away at the bark.

Oh and the driftwood/bogwood pretty much are the same thig just different process of making it and bogwood is harder ! But both are safe for tanks!

Bristle nose pleco are exactly what person above said. Technically but not the regular predator type. Plecos in general love wood. It's actually dangerous to get fake wood and stuff because they'll eat it! So be careful if you purchase any wood in case it has chemicals. And plecos are actually omnivores, we have 8 baby blue eyes albino 1 bristle albino 1 regular albino a royal pleco and a clown pleco and they all eat various things. We have algae wafers, omnivore wafers shrimp pellets cucumber and zucchini and blood worms I've seen them eat. Plus they love to chew and eat the driftwood. You actually can see where their little tooth chisels away at the bark.

Thanks for your feedback... I'm relieved they are going to be compatible :)

The lfs told me to boil some butternut squash and put a cube in at night time and remove it in the morning which I've just added to the tank. Wow cucumber too... I might try him on that tomorrow. I'll get some algae wafers too. I'll be moving him to my larger tank soon - can't wait!

I've actually got a bunch of pretty root pieces id be willing to part with.

Back
Top Bottom