Is My DIY Co2 Reactor Diagram Correct?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StevesPrettyCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I've been planning on building a Co2 Reactor. I have all my supplies and I'm ready to set it up and see if it works. I drew this quick picture to demonstrate how I believe it is supposed to be set up.

Right? Wrong? Any Suggestions?

Attachments

• co2reactor.jpg
    co2reactor.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 542
sorry to post again so quickly, but i forgot to mention that the diffuser that i got is called a "3-in-1 Multifunctional" Diffuser, Check Valve and Bubble counter all in one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MFGRLA). Do I still need the check valve installed to the tubing like i show in my diagram or should the one in the 3-in-1 diffuser be enough?

Also, this is going in a 55 gallon tank, and when i ordered the diffuser, they sent me two (bonus!!). I was wondering if it would be ok to get two Co2 reactors going, one on each side and i can cascade the refills every 2 weeks so i always have maximum Co2 production. Would two be overkill or is it ok? I figured with the cascading refills, i would always have one running top speed as the other would be fading out. Am I far off on my ideas?

Diy co2 on tanks more than about 40 gallons is difficult to maintain due to the sheer massacre of water. One Diy container probably isnt going to have a noticeable impact. However, you can string multiple bottles inline with one diffuser (or two) using T joints.

There is no harm in running multiple setups at either end.

Thanks for the reply AC, I kinda figured one DIY container wouldn't have much of an impact also, thats why i was wondering about two separate setups, one on each side. I like your suggestion about stringing multiple bottles together in the setup. Maybe by time I am fully set up I can aim for having two or three yeast bottles followed by the yeast catcher and diffuser in each rig i setup.

I just got home and set the first one up as a test. This one is just one yeast bottle and the catcher bottle (I only had two empty two-liters available), as pictured above.

I also noticed that the check valve built into my diffuser is really tough to blow air through. As a test i tried just blowing into the air tube and only got one or two bubbles, but I was blowing so hard I thought my eyeballs were gonna pop out! Does the Co2 pressure typically build up stong on a DIY setup or should i look into a different diffuser?

Thanks for the input, every bit helps!

It will need to be well constructed, ie leak free, but it should be able to generate the pressure. Keep an eye on it though.

Sorry, I forgot to post an update. Last night when I got home around 2:30am (fairly drunk i might add :p) the diffuser was pumping out bubbles into the tank perfectly! I couldnt believe it, I was half expeting to walk into a yeast bombed room. The bubbles are extremely small and they disappear into the water about 5 inch up from the diffuser. That is what is supposed to happen right? So the Co2 gets into the water? I'm new to both Co2 and Planted Tanks, so I'm researching as much as possible, but still get stuck sometimes and gotta ask questions so I appreciate the feedback very much!

Back
Top Bottom