is my jebo light ok or not??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i just planted three potted plants in my 50 gal tank with about 12 fish and i was reading an artical on freshwater plants that said if you have a tank deeper than 20 inches which i do...mine is 30....to use

However, in tanks deeper than 20" (50 cm), most fluorescent bulbs are not strong enough to illuminate the tank sufficiently, so mercury vapor lamps can be used. For mercury vapor lamps, use about 6.25 watts per inch (2.5 cm) of tank length.

now my question is this true .......my lfs said id be ok with my light.....i have 110 watts for a 50 gall

do i need fertz also????

any help would be great thank u

Deep water reduces PAR (photosyntically available radiation) pretty quickly. Mercury vapor AKA metal halide lamps are the reigning kings of PAR production, but they're expensive, they run hot, they suck down energy, and they're complete overkill for most planted tanks. I also see them being replaced by LEDs in the near future.

I'm not sure what light you're using, so I'll give you some general suggestions.

T8 fluorescents might not be powerful enough to send good PAR down to the bottom of a 30" tank. However, T5HO lights should be up to the task. I think 110W of T5HO light on a 30" deep 50g tank should put you in the med-low lighting range.

I don't think you need to dose ferts or inject CO2. It wouldn't hurt to add a basic comprehensive fert like Flourish. You could also try mixing dry fertilizers and trying something like the PPS Pro or EI regimens using reduced dosages. I use half to one-fourth the recommended dose of PPS Pro on my lower light tanks with good results.

JEBO 30" Compact Fluorescent 2 x 55 watt with actinic bulb

thats the light i have.....

JEBO 30" Compact Fluorescent 2 x 55 watt with actinic bulb

thats the light i have.....

Those are the same bulbs I have. You have 55 watts total as I have been told by BigJim here on the forum. And for freshwater, the actinic bulb is pretty much useless from what I have been told. Best to get pure 6500K or 10,000K CF.

ya i have 2 55 watt bulbs and i changed the actinic bulb for a white .......

Back
Top Bottom