Is my Marimo Moss Ball Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 Marimo moss balls in the same planted tank that I've been slowly working on. 1 is a deep, luscious green and the other appears to be dying. When I squeeze the healthy one it is very firm and when I squeeze the other one it's very mushy. I dose Flourish comprehensive weekly and Excel daily. Is there anything I can do? Any particular nutrient I should dose?

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm using two 15 watt spiral CFL's 6700k. and the tank is 10 gallons.

Attachments

• DSCI0028.jpg
    DSCI0028.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 389
Did you get both moss balls at the same time? It's peculiar that one would be dying and the other surviving, especially if they're right next to each other.

I bought the dying one a week after I bought the healthy one from the same petsmart. However, they both started out in the same good condition.

I'm having a similar issue with my moss ball anyone have any advice

Have you squeezed the ball out of the water? They don't like that at all.

Has it taken a large shot of Excel? They don't like that either.

I may put that moss ball in a non-excel tank. So, should I squeeze the ball under the water?

Laser said:
...So, should I squeeze the ball under the water?

Yes. Either give it a gentle squeeze in the tank before you do a PWC or quickly transfer it to a PWC bucket. They don't like it when air gets inside of them.

Agreed with all, I would say excel is the culprit though and for some reason your other ball seems to be taking most of that hit.

I would also recommend rotating the ball every few weeks to prevent the underside from dying.

Back
Top Bottom