Is my tank over stocked ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JavaMoss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so this is my newly planted tank i have ;

4 Neons
2 Harlequins
1 Mountain Minnow
2 Leapord Zanio
2 Black Neon
3 Silver Tips

Its a 30ltr tank

Is it over stocked ?

Thanks so much for all your help in the past :)

Attachments

• image-3810043023.jpg
    image-3810043023.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 63
30liters is about 8gal so yes I'd say your way overstocked. If you mean silver-tipped catfish .. they get HUGH .. up to 12-13+ inches is more than likely.

The L. Danios (I'm assuming your meant Danios) are very active and need a larger tank volume. Both Neons do better in a 10gal min (40liters)

To keep your current stock (I'm assuming they are juveniles and are still growing) you're looking at a 120gal (400+Liters) easily. Get rid of the Silvertips, and a 30gal (120Liters) should do.

Keeping that many in your tank will probably lead to stunted growth.

So could i take out the black neon tetras ? There quite big. How many tetra sizes fish would you recommend for my tank ?

I agree with JColon. To answer your question: none, really. 8 gals is a very small tank for most fish. Even small fish like Neons are very active and need more horizontal swim space. The best fish for your tank would be a single Betta or some nano fish like Ember Tetra, Celestial Pearl Danio or Chili Rasbora. Endler's Livebear's, guppies, or small killfish would work as well, but none of the fish you have now are suitable.

So could i take out the black neon tetras ? There quite big. How many tetra sizes fish would you recommend for my tank ?

Honestly ... Sub 10gal tanks are really only suitable for shrimp / snails / maybe a male betta. All the other fish you mentioned are naturally very active and need larger tank volumes to move about. How many can you rehome? If those silver tipped are catfish, they'll need to be rehomed.

An 8 gal is close enough to a 10gal that you could get a way with 4 Neons.

I could rehome 3-4. They are silver tip tetras !

Silver tip Tetras:facepalm:. Forgot about those ... too used to seeing silver tip sharks/catfish in LFS.

I agree with librarygirl's nano fish list, for your tank, those are more suitable. Even Silver Tip Tetras need about a 15gal (60Liters).

Back
Top Bottom