Is there a better way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will start by saying I love the python...makes PWC's a breeze. But I need some input and/or thoughts on this.

Over time, the tank is completely planted...errr, overgrown with plants. When using the python, the flow pushes the plants (all of the long stem plants) and on occassion, uprooting them.

Using a trickly flow method doesn't work well for since I live with a number of family members who forget that I'm filling the tank and I lose the temp I want fairly quickly.

Relocating the plants isn't an option as that will completely place the 'scape out of balance.

Any thoughts on this? Am I overlooking looking something fairly simple?

I diffuse the water a bit when I do a refill so I don't blow my plants around. I hold a small dessert plate or saucer at an angle over the tank and then pour the new water over the plate. The water stream is diffused a bit so that the force of the stream isn't hitting the tank in the same place. Even my newly-placed stem plants are not uprooted when I refill this way. Of course, you would have to use a bigger plate for the volume of water coming from your python, but that may work for you.

You can also try adding the water at the same location as the filter output. The plants will aready be adapted to higher flow there.

Just make sure your python doesn't go empty when you switch from removal to filling.The "gravel vac" area being filled will give the incoming water a diffusal area. Let the filled tube float at the water's surface as the tank fills. I haven't ever uprooted antthing this way.

Just a questionj about the python,since I am planning on getting one but this question keeps on bugging me.So when you refill the tank the water is straight from the tap correct,so how do you de-chlorinate the water before it flows into the tank?

Apocalypse_Gold said:
You can also try adding the water at the same location as the filter output. The plants will aready be adapted to higher flow there.

You definitely hit the nail on the head there...I have anacharis in that area that are indeed "used" to the flow.

Hoovercat said:
Let the filled tube float at the water's surface as the tank fills. I haven't ever uprooted antthing this way.

I hadn't thought of allowing the tube to float. The flow would be diffused along the water's surface. Nice!

Planted Tank Master said:
Rubber-band a piece of panty-hose over the output. It makes it very diffuse. There are many ways to do this Bill.

Yes, but to have all these ideas on one page is incredible. There is nothing like AA...nothing!

Kudos to all for the great suggestions :)

Bill,

I built a little 'fill adapter' for my python knock-off. It's just a few pieces of 1.25" PVC, a couple elbo joints so it forms an upside down U shape. Put a cap on one end, and female threaded hose adapter on the other. Then I drilled about 20 holes on the cap'd side...in the cap and up the sides of the PVC.

Even at full blast, water just trickles out the holes. Works great, and there's NO CHANCE it can fall off the tank, cuz it's a big hook about 8" long. I can post a pic if I can find one.

Back
Top Bottom