Is there a plant safe pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dthomascg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As the title says, I was just curious if there are Plecos that are completely or mostly safe for planted tanks.

The tank is (or will be, still in process of setting it up), a 120 gallon (5' long, 18" deep, and 26" tall) community tank. Tank will be as heavily planted as I can manage without forced Co2, but not completely packed from wall to wall either. Lots of large intricate pieces of driftwood courtesy of Lake Erie, and a fair amount of Lace rock, as I like how many of them come pre shaped like caves and tunnels.

Although it is a 120 gallon, I still don't want anything that gets too big, prefer 6-8 inch max size.

I just don't want to put a bunch of work into growing a ton of plants, only for a pleco to constantly much on everything. A little bit here and there is understandable, but if it's going to make up a good portion of it's diet, 9 won't bother.

If you can suggest some that may work, great. If not, that's ok too, plenty of other fish out there to choose from. Thanks!

I really like the three varieties I keep, Gold Nugget, Dull eyed Royal and bristlenose. The Gold Nugget and Royal are about 6 y.o. and are 4" and 6" respectively. The bristlenose is a juvenile, 2" but will be approx. 6" when grown. None have damaged plants, but they do naw on drift0wood. Although most Plecos are big waste makers, these varieties haven't proven to be.
Pictured, the Gold Nugget and D.E. Royal.

Attachments

• 20170902_132549.jpg
    20170902_132549.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170825_083400.jpg
    20170825_083400.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom