Is there any hope....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have owned this java fern for about 3-4 months now. When I first got it I didn't know better to tie it to dw/rock/stone so I buried it...I took it out of the subtrate about 3-4 weeks ago and let it float with hopes it would get better...will it?

First pic is the rhiozime (roots)
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: My first planted tank - Picture

This pic is the fern floating close up (look at the tips of the leaves)
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: My first planted tank - Picture

Floating

Hard to tell but it doesn't look like it's dying. Do you have any DW or rock even to tie it onto? Are you using ferts in the tank?

Edit: Glad you asked that cause it didn't look quite right for a java fern.

Rivercats, yes, I am still using flourish comp and excel until I purchase the dry ferts (real soon)...I had it tied to dw for about a month..I just untied it from it and let it float...roots arent getting any longer...no new leaf ....its like its frozen as is.....

it was buried at first for about 2.5 months, then tied to dw for about 1 month, now floating for about couple weeks

Well if it's agreed it's a type of sword then the first thing that pops out to me is that they're heavy root feeders. What type of substrate are you using Geronica? You might need an iron rich root tab and not have this plant tied to DW like java fern, but planted like a sword should be.

It consist of pfs, flourite, flourish comp & Excel, ApI root tabs for my greedy amazon sword which I place near and throughout subtrate, 2 13 watt cfl 6500k bulbs, pwc 1-2 weekly...Please re-read the history of the plant (what I have done before now) so I won't have to keep re-typing my wrist is in pain tonight.....parameters....ph 7.4, ammo 0, trites 0, trates 5.

Here is the link to my current 20H planted tank.

So, that makes 3 of you believing it is a sword specie, what type? I will follow you all's advice to replant it, so, tomorrow I will replant it and add another root tab (although I did this at first) next to it as I do the hungry amazon sword..:) and keep my fingers crossed...this plant has the same amount of leaves since I have had it and that is about 4 months...it need serious attention and I am trying to give it some one on one.....do it need alot of light or some shade? Any info to help my only plant that has done nothing since I got it....

I'm not the best when it comes to which type of sword is which since many look so similar but I'd go with Brain_Nano in Argentine Sword. And that is one of those swords that people say can only get to around 18" and other swear huge so I'd play it safe and maybe put it in the mid back range so you can put something like Vals or stem plants that can grow tall behind it if needed. Plus remember you can trim leaves to keep it sized down if needed. I trim leaves off my Amazon Swords every few weeks to keep them the size I want.

Back
Top Bottom