is this driftwood safe ta add to my tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simplyangels

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting ready to try my hand at starting a planted tank !
and I have two pieces of driftwood that was in my flower garden when I moved
here.
It looks really old and bleached and I'm thinking it came from one of the freshwater lakes here but I'm not sure !!
can anyone tell me what it is or if it would be safe to add to the tank.

Attachments

• driftwood 001.jpg
    driftwood 001.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 70
  • driftwood 004.jpg
    driftwood 004.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 82
  • driftwood 003.jpg
    driftwood 003.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 69
Looks nice!! Where did you find it? Boil it, soak it make sure you kill anything that may be on it and I'd say your good to go!

Nice find.

Thanks!! its better to be safe than sorry it was in my flower garden when I moved here ! I'm going to set up a new planted tank with low light plants for discus ! would you have any advice on plants ?

The wood is nice but being in a flower garden I'd be worried about what type of chemicals might have gotten on it over the years. Just a thought.

Here's a link to some plants suitable to higher temps of discus tanks... Warm Water/Discus Plants.

I agree with the chemical concern. If the previous house owners used any, it would have seeped in and it will leach out over time. Discus are too expensive to play the roulette game with in my opinion.

I would think bleach would soak into to wood making it harmful to fish !!
When we moved here the garden was not maintained looked like it hadn't been for years there were no plants and it used a rock garden
So I think I'm going to boil it a couple of times and soak it for a week or so
What do you think ?

It's a risky move but as long as you feel comfortable doing it then try and see. Thing is just because a yard hasn't been taken care of in years doesn't mean somewhere down the road chemicals haven't been used.

That's true I'm not sure what I will use I have to travel an hour to find a shop that sells it and it's so expensive and I haven't purchased my tank yet gonna get that this week end a 75 or 90 gal maby I'll do rock of some kind just want to get it set up so I can start the fishless cycle

Have you checked around on line? Sometimes you can find pretty good prices and even with shipping they are cheaper than retail. Do you have any large lakes or streams in a rural area around you? Many people go wood hunting that way. Then they boil, scrub, and boil the pieces they find before using. It's less likely by a long shot to find chemicals on wood like that. Not saying there can't be but alot of people do this with great results.

I'm gonna do some checking online and we do have several lakes in the area I'll come up with something hopefully I'll find something pretty soon :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom