Is this dwarf hair grass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baobeiiiiiiii

Aquarium Advice Regular
Pic taken shows the grass after it's been in the tank around 4 days, it keeps growing taller and taller. I'm not sure if it's dwarf hair grass or something else. Any ideas? The tanks is 35cm in height. Plants were grown from seed outside the tank then planted after two weeks underwater.

Attachments

• IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0392.jpg
    IMAG0392.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 88
Is there such a thing as 'regular' hairgrass? If so how tall does it grow.

If it's giant grass i'm not sure it's the 'look' I was going for. Might look ok if it's just at the back of the tank though, but apparently this giant grass can spread very far under the soil and pop up anywhere.

Is there such a thing as 'regular' hairgrass? If so how tall does it grow.

If it's giant grass i'm not sure it's the 'look' I was going for. Might look ok if it's just at the back of the tank though, but apparently this giant grass can spread very far under the soil and pop up anywhere.

I don't think its giant hairgrass. I have some in my tank and when I planted it I took some small runners off and it seems to grow up before it grows out, but it could be different in different tanks. I think there is a middle hairgrass though, but I'm not sure. Do you know the scientific name for the seeds you bought?

There's a spectrum of hairgrasses from short to tall.

Eleocharis belem (1-2")
Eleocharis parvula (2-4")
Eleocharis acicularis (3-8")
Eleocharis montevidensis (3"-big)

The majority of plants sold in the US are parvula or acicularis. If you bought it as "Dwarf Hairgrass" it's probably parvula, and parvula can easily get fairly tall, especially with lower light.

Back
Top Bottom