Is this green algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had this green stuff growing on my sand and I don't know what it is. I had a diatom and hair algae outbreak and then this stuff showed up. The diatoms are gone now and the hair algae is receding but this stuff is growing. My nerite snails won't eat it. My mollies and shrimp won't either. I have been running a diy CO2 setup. My light is a 4ft shop light with 6500k bulbs. I dose with Flourish comprehensive every 4 days and use jobe plant spikes as root tabs.

Attachments

• 100_0257 (2).jpg
    100_0257 (2).jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 80
  • algae3 (2).jpg
    algae3 (2).jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 71
It looks to me like it could be BGA (Blue Green Algae) which is actually a form of cyano bacteria.

You can try to increase flow and reduce excess nutrients to fend it off. If that doesn't work a couple of doses of erythromycin usually does the trick.

Having just won a battle with cyanobacteria, it definitely looks like that's what it is. But as Fort said, erythromycin works wonders.

Will the erythromycian hurt the fish, shrimp, or snails? I lowered my water level a little to increase water movement. I gave my tank a good cleaning last night and did a 50% water change. This morning the green stuff was even worse. Would removing the sand that is affected help?

No, it is an antibiotic. Same stuff we use for humans. You can get "API Erythromycin" at most any pet store. Or, if you know your pharmacist, you can just ask for a few capsules of it from the pharmacy... I have gone that route before.

Will the erythromycian hurt the fish, shrimp, or snails? I lowered my water level a little to increase water movement. I gave my tank a good cleaning last night and did a 50% water change. This morning the green stuff was even worse. Would removing the sand that is affected help?

I second everything fort said, and just removing the sand isn't going to help. I would recommend stirring up as much as you can and vacuuming it out before you start dosing the antibiotic, but it will keep coming back and spreading if you just tried to remove the affected sand without doing anything else.

The reason the erythromycin is the best route to go is because what your dealing with is a bacteria not algae. The Erytho will kill all the cyanobacteria in your tank so you don't have to worry about it reappearing as it often does when using other methods. Also keep tabs on nitrate levels from now on as cyanobacteria if often found in tanks with nitrate levels below 10ppm. The Erythro will also not affect your BB either. The only thing that can happen is ammonia levels can rise "if" there is alot of cyano dying off in the tank. That is why it is a good idea to remove as much as you can before treating.

Thanks for the help everyone. I scooped out what I could last night and lowered my water level to get more aeration. I will have to order some erythromycin. All I have on hand for pets right now is amoxicillin, terramycin and liquid peniciliian. I live out in the country and we don't have much local. I have a lot of elderly pets so I keep a lot of meds but just got into the fish hobby so I haven't stocked up on a lot yet. No doctor around here will prescribe antibiotics unless they are convinced you really need it. The pharmacy wouldn't sell me a couple of tabs without a prescription either. I have an online supplier so I will get it from there.

I raised my lights and set the timer for 8 hours instead of 10. My tank has only been set up since January and it seems like I have hit every problem along the way despite frequent water changes and cleanings. My nitrate has been staying high, around 80 so low nitrates aren't the problem. Our water supply is really bad. Lots of problems. I am beginning to think I might need to check on a whole house water filter. Or get water from a local spring and filter and sterilize it to use. You can't even drink or cook with our local water company water.

It is always tough going at first. Once a tank matures, with proper maintenance, it gets much easier! Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom