Is this green spot algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-3391668518.jpg

Just culled some of the hardest hit Anubis leaves. Think this is GSA but would appreciate your opinions so I can figure out how to treat. Thanks!

It looks like GSA from the pic. It's hard to magnify it to get a really good look. From what I know, it can really affect slow growing plants easily -- especially the older bottom leaves of an anubias. Increase in phosphates should help treat it. Further, getting nerite snails can help too. They're apparently great at eating GSA, given that their mass isn't too much for the leaf to support the weight. Maybe get a combination of zebra nerite and olive nerites. I've noticed, well at my LFS, that the olives are smaller than the zebras I've seen. Could have been age or a species thing, not sure? But, in other words, get small and medium ones.

Can I order those online? None of my LFS have them. Heard also Japonica shrimp?

Brian is right about the GSA but you are also showing the start of BBA, Black Beard Algae around the edges of the Anubia leaf also. How long are you running your lights daily? You can spot treat the BBA with Hydrogen peroxide 3% and I would move it to a more shaded location in the tank.

For spot treating pull up 1-3ml of peroxide for every 1 gallon of water in a syringe, turn off filters, hold syringe very close to algae and slowly squirt. Leave filters off 20 minutes.

What is your nitrate and phosphate level. Usually a level of 3ppm phosphates will keep GSA away.

Thanks for the help. Have done both and also found some liquid phosphate today. Have not added any yet - do not have a way to test phosphate??

Thanks for the help. Have done both and also found some liquid phosphate today. Have not added any yet - do not have a way to test phosphate??

For now dose it according to the directions on the bottle. I've had up to 10ppm phosphate in my planted tank before so don't worry about the level getting too high for right now. But do get an API Phosphate test kit so you can keep track of you phosphate levels weekly along with your nitrate levels. Phosphates should be 1-3ppm.

Back
Top Bottom