Is this hydra? Also spots on my plants (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephenk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently started a 10G tank to get back into the hobby. I went through a fishless cycle and now have a seemingly healthy aquarium. Today I noticed that it looks like I have a very bad hydra infestation, however it isn't green like the other pics I have seen.

Here is a shot
plant_disease_1.jpg

If this is hydra, what would be a recommended traeatment that is loach friendly?

My second question, you can see spots on the plant in that first pic. Any clue what they could be? The plants seem to be growing fine.

Sorry the pic is so big, I shold have resized it.

Thanks,
Stephen

EDIT: It may be hard to see, but you can see what I am refering to on the top the leaf in the top center

I have been told that Hydra takes on the color of what ever it is attached to. Most sources say that they only pose a problem to small frye.

The spots I am not sure about, but look at the underside of the leaf. Do you see snail eggs? The spots in this photo kind of resemble what the top side of a leaf with snail eggs under it looks like.

Those are quite likely hydra, although the picture is a bit blurry (but they're so dang small it's hard to get a good pic of them). Unless you have small fry in the tank, they are nothing to worry about. In fact, hydra rarely appear unless the water quality in the tank is excellent :)

hydra rarely appear unless the water quality in the tank is excellent

I have heard this. The problem is, I think it was present before I started my fishless cycle, although not nearly as prevalent.

Do you see snail eggs? The spots in this photo kind of resemble what the top side of a leaf with snail eggs under it looks like.

My yoyo loaches seem to have made my snail problem disappear very quickly. I only have the stock florescent hood, so I think I may have too little light for extremely healthy plants

Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom