Is this normal for java fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
I brought 5 java ferns and some moss from a online retailer and they arrived today but so e of the plants have brown spots and some don't is this normal? I'm soaking them all at the minute and watching for hitchhiking snails before I add them to my tank.

If the brown spots are evenly spaced down one side of the leaf, it's normal and they are most likely spores to produce baby plants.

If the brown spots are arbitrarily placed on both sides of the leaf, the plant is probably deteriorating from a deficiency.

So we are ok! Good good how long should I soak them for? It's been slightly over 2 hours.

image-3213678873.jpg

Are you just soaking them in water? That won't do anything. Mix hydrogen peroxide at a 1 to 3 or 4 ratio with water and soak for 20 minutes. This tends to kill snails, eggs, algae, and other nasties that hitchhike on new plants.

Are you just soaking them in water? That won't do anything. Mix hydrogen peroxide at a 1 to 3 or 4 ratio with water and soak for 20 minutes. This tends to kill snails, eggs, algae, and other nasties that hitchhike on new plants.

Thanks very much for that, yeah I was just soaking in water :p I'll do that now.

Back
Top Bottom