is this normal for this plant ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict

I cant make this plant go straight up it is always going towards a current I guess.

the outlet is facing the water surface to it agitates a bit to get co2 amb levels. but it might be some of the current though, does yours do this? should I stick them more in the middle than on the back? or it just needs more of them build up together to keep them straight?

My spraybar is running along the wideness starting from back to the front of my tank on camera left pointing towards the surface what other way is there? if i point it down middle of depth I think might be worst? and less agitation on surface for co2 levels? you think?

kaz said:
My spraybar is running along the wideness starting from back to the front of my tank on camera left pointing towards the surface what other way is there? if i point it down middle of depth I think might be worst? and less agitation on surface for co2 levels? you think?

As far as surface agitation goes, I'm told that less is a good thing. Less agitation= less CO2 gasing off and getting wasted. I've seen the spray bars run down the side of tanks and not just along the top. It looks as though you're using a Rena XP filter? They have a ball valve included. No matter how you mount your spray bar you can put the ball valve on and slow down the flow if need be. Not sure if that helps?

J Migidy said:
As far as surface agitation goes, I'm told that less is a good thing. Less agitation= less CO2 gasing off and getting wasted. I've seen the spray bars run down the side of tanks and not just along the top. It looks as though you're using a Rena XP filter? They have a ball valve included. No matter how you mount your spray bar you can put the ball valve on and slow down the flow if need be. Not sure if that helps?

the no agitation method is for co2 injection systems not for no co2 users.
I tried putting the spraybar running down the tank but it didnt make as much of a circulation of water as the way I have it. my understanding is you need good circulation? if I add the ball valve wouldnt that lower my circulation and thus lowering filteration?

Looks to me that the stems are weakening.. snapping off.. could be a deficiency of some sort. also looks like the lower needles are falling off, usually a sign of insufficient lighting..

Keep in mind how water currents work. What is displaced must be replaced.. So if you have your spraybar at the bottom pointing up. expect a vacuum to occur dragging water towards the spraybar.. just something to keep in mind.

my spraybar is running from back to front on the left side of the tank (width) it is about 1 to 2 inches under the surface and it is pointing 45degrees towards the right of the tank and up to the surface. yes the lower parts of the plants just got lost but the center stem looks nice and greenish. I do have anacharis and they did also lose the bottom, it might be part lighting issue, I have notice my angelicus botia and guppies eating these plants off of the stems too. is this normal?

Kaz, you would do well to place your spraybar along the back wall of the tank (about an inch under the tank trim) and have it pointed slightly upward. This will provide the surface agitation you need to keep the gas exchange level constant. It will also allow for a nice even level of water movement throughout the tank.

you mean have it like I do know but just instead of running it on the width of the tank (back to front) having it run it on the length ( left to right )? but this will make the current hit the front of the tank and no circulation will happen on the right side of the tank wouldnt it?

I tried placing it running on the back wall through the depth of the tank ( top to bottom) facing the other side of the tank current pushing left to right width. but didnt like the circulation either some spots in the tank were dead.

question does the agitation need to be settle or big waves like an eruption from under the water is taking place?

The way I recommended is exactly the way I have it in mine. My tank is the same size as yours, though I have a bit more plants and a larger bio-load. I have no dead spots whatsoever. You will get a subtle amount of agitation, no tidal waves or whirlpools. :)

ok first is the way I have it:

and this is the way you are saying to place it?

Seeing your illustration actually demonstrates the problem. That is a very small spraybar. :(

I can understand now why you have a circulation issue (by comparison, mine is @ 36" and hits the entire tank). My immediate suggestion would be to get yourself an extension to eliminate this problem. They are definitely available at: http://www.thatpetplace.com

Thanks for the drawings...as they say, a picture tells a thousand words.

cant do that without going into purchasing more tubing cause everything is cut and made for that distance. I looked at your first suggestion site but didnt find a rena extension, on the rena site you provided I still dont see extension or spray bar that will make it into full length of tank? I thank everyone and appreciate your time and help.

Sorry for any confusion Kaz. You need to purchase an additional spraybar and one of the fittings to attach it. You will also need a few suction cups to hold it in place.

Jchillin said:
Kaz, you would do well to place your spraybar along the back wall of the tank (about an inch under the tank trim) and have it pointed slightly upward. This will provide the surface agitation you need to keep the gas exchange level constant. It will also allow for a nice even level of water movement throughout the tank.

What a great idea. So simple and obvious... See how we get tied down to one way of thinking? I think I'm going to implement this method. Hope it works for you too Kaz

Attachments

• spraybar_493.jpg
    spraybar_493.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom