Is this ok?...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
I been getting a bit of Black beard algae on the sides of my tank and on a piece of driftwood, I had already managed to get rid of it a while ago, by using Hydrogen Peroxide. Now I want to do the same thing but now I have 3 Dwarf Puffers in there, will they be ok?

The question as asked, is not a safe one for anyone to answer. Bottom line, yes you can kill fish and plants with Hydrogen Peroxide if not done very carefully.

If the root cause of the algae (most likely low or fluctuating CO2) if not fixed, it will always come back.

Seachem Excel will provide Carbon, and has a side effect of killing algae. IMO, that is a better/safer way to go.

I agree, Excel has a lot more leeway when it comes to dosing than peroxide does.

When I got rid of it I had 6 neon tetras, 3 otos and a Dwarf Gourami in there, and I added around 5 ml. of Hydrogen Peroxide directly to the affected areas every 3 days, Until the BBA got red and then suddenly disapeared. All my fish survived. So do you think its a bad idea to add HP to the Black Beard Algae with the Dwarf Puffers in there? oh and my Phosphates are a little high....My nitrates are at 20ppm. I Always do a 50% water change every Sunday. P.S. I dont think Excel would be good beacuse I got Anacharis in that tank. And I wouldnt spend on a bottle of excel just to dip stuff in it, I think HP gets it done fast and easy....Anyways I was just worried about the DP's..

Back
Top Bottom