Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Isn't this a contradiction?

Concerning Hornwort......
I have some of it in my tank.

I keep reading that it grows better floating as apposed to planting" it .
Then it is also said that too much light can turn it brown..

Isn't the most light near the surface?

Old 09-22-2021, 02:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah its but the intensity of light can still vary at the surface depending on your fixture. Nearly all plants will grow better at or near the surface because they have better access to co2. Then you just have to make sure they have enough nutrients.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've actually not had a problem with it turning brown with too much light. I have a wrgb-2 which is far stronger than most aquarium lights and i float the hornworth. Furthermore the aquarium in question is a low tech (no co2) aquarium; so I would question that 'too much' light causes it to turn brown. Now it might be darker green with lower light as many plants adjust their colour based on the amount of available light relative to their needs.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I could be wrong but my understanding is, that it turning brown is it being covered with algae.

If your tank is stable and you donít have your lights on 24/7 I donít think it should be an issue.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com