It died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamwallaby

Aquarium Advice Activist
The moneywort was doing poor so I put a searches root tab in and added excell yesterday and literally overnight it went from not so good to completely dead.

Water keeps turning yellow too so I guess the DW isn't done leaching or the dying plants are doing it

Attachments

• image-624920307.jpg
    image-624920307.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 84
What size tank do you have? What type of light fixture and bulbs and how long do you run them daily? What is your substrate? Do you use any fertilizers? What other plants do you have and how are they doing? Answers to all these can help determine what might be the problem. Also how often do you do WC's and how much do you change out? What are your nitrate reading? Neither root tabs nor Excel would have killed the Pennywort overnight. Also you can add Purgin to your filter and that will keep the tannins absorbed out of your water.

Tank is 44 but only 30-35 is water. Lights are T8 Floramax and Marineland double bright led. Gravel for substrate, a larger gravel and Very small gravel that is almost like large sand. I was using Aqueon plant food but just switched to the root tabs and flourish comp. only just started the Excel and root tabs yesterday. Also found out you are not suppose to dose the food until 24hr after water change. Last check ammonia an nitrite
0. Nitrate is only about 5-10 and I think that should be higher for plants. I feed twice a day. Flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms rotated. I also drop shrimp pellet or bottom feeder tab for the loaches. Had the purgin in Until 2 days ago, i have to rechrge it. WC is usually 25% every 4-5days (was 3-4 until last week)

Other plants are green foxtail, java plants, java moss, an acharya and sag grass. Had a red foxtail but that died. Others are ok but sag grass is not showing any growth.

Okay I remember the tank now. You can use 1ml of Excel per 10 gallons of water. The ferts you have now are good. In a planted tank nitrates should be between 10-20ppm (I run a low nitrate tank and keep mine at 10ppm) and phosphates should be .5-1ppm. Since your other plants are doing fine but some growing slow I think you'll notice better growth after using the Excel for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom