I've got diatoms (brown algae) in a peculiar place!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I got home today from work and decided to finally organize my floating plants (a mix of java fern, wisteria, and some other unknown plant all tangled together). During my pruning I came across a very interesting sight. In my breeder cage where I was keeping some small java ferns that were getting sucked against my intake tube of the filter was 2-3 medium size patches of brown algae (diatoms). I was shocked to see this, since I've never had it in my tank yet, but sure enough this was the bad stuff.

I then realized that while my Oto's and barbs were doing a great job of cleaning the tank, they could NOT get into the breeder tank to clean anything that grew in there. And since the tank is floating at the surface its getting a constant supply of light during the day. I quickly removed the breeder cage and put the little java ferns on the surface with some of the floating plants so hopefully they won't get sucked into the filter.

So to all of you that have a cage in the tank and its not being used, think about removing it, because you may be inviting some unwanted visitors....

HTH,

justin

Back
Top Bottom