I've Jumped Over the Planted Tank fence!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can use the Proleague. Same great CEC just smaller grained. It'll be closer to sand in consistancy. You'd need to be more careful to ensure that the substrate doesn't get compacted (add MTS or manually stir occationally). It would probably be easier for your smaller rooted plants to get established and spread. They didn't have the ProLeague in black when I bought mine or I probably would have given it a try.

Awesome, I'm pretty much sold on the Pro-league. Is it teh same price as MVP? I'm sorry about the miscommunication PB, I was sure you told me it looked black and was also sure that the samples they showed me did NOT look black at all.

WHo would have thought they discontnued the MVP in grey/black. Oh well, Onto Pro-league, Which I hear is the SAME EXACT THING as AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community. substrate (sans the 5 gallon bucket.) I saw a couple threads about this, IIRC Zezmo started one about it.

Boy oh boy does it pay to do your research or what? I may re-pot some terrestrial plants w/ the first bag of the MVP. We'll see how people do sliding into home plate w/ a big aloe plant in it (Turface is made for sports fields for anyone who doesnt get this, I guess by explaining it I just made it not funny for those that did, oh well...can't all be winners).

This morning after I had paid for the tan-colored MVP, I said to the guy "You'll never guess what I'm using this for!"

Him: "What?"
Me: "I'm putting it in my aquarium."
Him: "Is it safe?"
Me: "Yup."
Him: "I don't want to hear about any floaters."
I gave em an enthusiastic: "You won't!"

BTW,
I'm still looking for input about my proposed PVC configurations:
(1) a 2' piece and a 3' piece siliconed and buried to create terraced mound; or,
(2) one 4' piece buried across the length of the tank to create a uniform "step" terrace.

Also still looking for input about my idea to make my sump tank CO2 friendly.

Last edited:
I'd recommend calling the place you bought it from, as my information is obviously a couple years out of date on availability and pricing. I'd expect it to be comparably priced.

Another common use for this stuff is potting Bonsai. The local place I bought mine from had heard of it being used for Bonsai before, but it was the first time they heard about it with Planted Aquariums.

Wish I could help more with the Sump or the Terracing, but those are areas I have no experiance with. You might try doing a Search for Sumps in the Freshwater forums. Czcz had a small planted aquarium with a small sump. I know he's got a log out there on his setup and I think he gave some advice to another member that was planning to use a sump in a planted aquarium.

I hate to bump in here with something only half related, but how difficult is it to switch from, say, plastic plants to real ones later?

I'm planning out my first aquarium. So far all I've decided on is that it'll be a 29-gallon tropical FW tank. I'm thinking I should use plastic plants to start, to avoid overdoing it (that is, having to learn aquagardening and caring for the fish, too). Or is it easier to start with the live plants now rather than having to mess with the change later?

I hate to bump in here with something only half related, but how difficult is it to switch from, say, plastic plants to real ones later?

I'm planning out my first aquarium. So far all I've decided on is that it'll be a 29-gallon tropical FW tank. I'm thinking I should use plastic plants to start, to avoid overdoing it (that is, having to learn aquagardening and caring for the fish, too). Or is it easier to start with the live plants now rather than having to mess with the change later?

It really depends on what your goals are for having a planted aquarium. Some setups would significantly increase your cost and effort while other would be very simple and inexpesive to make the switch later. I'd really recommend that you start a separate thread so that your questions don't get lost in the main discussion.

Karegg, what I did, was turn my father's 55 gal SW tank into a planted tank by replacing the SW sand w/ river gravel.

I slowly added very low light real plants (java and anubias) one at a time to see what would live and die. I tried others with no sucess.

Then AA got me, and I started looking at these planted tanks and I was done for. Now, hundreds of dollars later, I'm almost done w/ getting my full blown, CO2 fertilized, high light, high tech planted tank going.

But it seems that the good Lord, or fate, or something does NOT want me to be able to do both (1) have a black substrate and (2) Use turface as a substrate.

I decided to go with Turface but it is hard to find. Luck would have it that the ONLY retailer in my area is about 3 blocks from my house (a 2 minute drive).

First I went with MVP, well that only came in brown and Profile (manufacturer) doesn't make that grain in black anymore (I called them). Next I figured "No big deal, I'll just go with Pro-league, which they do still make in black." Guess what; the retailer doesn't carry Pro-league in black (I called them).

SOoooooo, it looks like Soilmaster Select (from Lesco) or Schultz aquatic soil (Home Depot) are my only two options (other than paying for shipping, or paying $25 for 20lbs of eco or flourite at my LFS).

Oh and BTW, I made my PVC Terrace support last night. I ended up using the 5' piece by cutting it in a 2' piece and a 3' piece, siliconed them together (centered) and will prop the 2' piece up on some existing gravel and place it (centered) up against the back wall w/ the 3' piece on the bottom of the tank. Should I drill holes in it to help w/ waterflow or not bother since it will be buried?

EDIT: ANother question: Where can I get a drop checker for CO2? Is ebay the best place or can you get em cheaper somewhere else?

Last edited:
F&S is actually pretty good on shipping charges for heavy loads.

Drop checkers - I got mine from someone on APC, sunshine something was the username, but I don't know that she makes them anymore.

The Red Sea drop checkers are very inexpensive and work well, you'd just need to buy some KH reference solution (or mix your own).

If you haven't seen the Shultz Aquatic Soil in a tank, it is brown (and very dusty!) You'll have to rinse it a lot and it will take a few days to settle.

Thanks An t-iasg. There is a home depot about 3 miles from my home, but I just know in my heart that if I settled, for Shultz Aquatic soil, even if it was the most beautiful tank in the world, I would always feel a little let down b/c I would have "settled" for something other than what I really wanted.

I've really had MAJOR problems finding a substrate. I could buy black onyx sand or eco-complete, but would like to avoid having to pay $100+ to buy enough for my tank.

Turface MVP no longer comes in grey/black when wet.

Turface Pro-league does come in grey/black when wet, but no store stocks it, and they would only get it if I order an entire pallet.

SMS is being phased out by Lesco/JohnDeere (replaced with Turface, which NOBODY STOCKS!!!)

All these people on the phone seem like they're used to dealing w/ golf courses, and can't understand why I would want it in grey. It's extremely frustrating. They all say "I can't order a pallet when all it will do is sit here." Some offered to give me the phone numbers of stores that have the Turface Pro-league in grey (one in S. Carolina, another in Ohio and another in Alabama) so I could see if they would ship it to me, but at the price that would cost, I might as well go to the LFS and pay those prices.

Sooooo, long story short (too late, sorry), I'm gonna have to drive 40+ miles to go get SMS from a Lesco/JohnDeer store in Houston, PA (don't worry, I've never heard of it either).

I sure wish the local Lesco or the Turface retailer next to my house (3 blocks away) would be willing to get just a bag or two for me. The pain and hassle (and cost, at $3.29 a gallon) of driving so far really changes things and makes the turface/sms option less appealing.

Last edited:
Pitt, I want to make sure you found this site. I don't know how far these places are from you, but this site will tell you which locations have the charcoal SMS in stock. Hopefully you'll be able to find some within a reasonable distance of you

LESCO.com - Product Detail

I'm actually on Lesco.com right now.

The closest that has the SMS is 21 miles away.

Turface and SMS are basically the same thing right, so why is Turface ten bucks more ($23 as opposed to SMS' $13?)

I called the four closest stores, and none have Turface pro league in grey, one out of four (21mi away) has SMS charcoal.

Research on some other forums (obviously busier than AA) has yielded a strategy: Many aquarists in my boat (called around and nobody has it or tells them they have to order a pallete) had success by ordering turface or SMS online and then selecting the local pickup option. I may do that.

I'm seriously thinking about driving around to some local golf courses and scouting for some "morally flexible" greens keepers...lol.

Houston, PA is just down I-79. It's in Washington County but it's not that far. Now with the gas prices, yes, that does make it something to consider but if you get good highway mileage, then it may be worth the drive.

Can any of the other stores (Gibsonia, Sewickley, Bridgeville) send a few bags to the Monroeville store if they have what you want? They may still charge you a bit for shipping but it would be a closer drive, and less gas on your part.

21 miles is nothing. As cheap as the stuff is I'd get my hands on the SMS as a "just in case" policy - but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom