Java Envy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed there are fairly common pictures of people java ferns with 6"-10" leaves. My java fern grows leaves 3"-4" long then quits and starts throwing new leaves from the rhyzome.

Is this some kind of deficiency? Or do I just have a java fern with bad genes?

It's normal. I've heard there are different types of them but who knows. In hard water I know that they're leaves grow longer.

Try looking a tpetco for they're little plants in a plastic tube on the shelves. I found some the other day with literally bushes of java fern. They are pretty big with like 12 inch leaves. Will post pics if you want, pretty awesome things that were 11 dollars each.

I've found that under low light (0.5-1.5 wpg) java fern grows bigger, and arguably better. BUT, that may just be me trying to balance the ferts on my high light tank!

Hmmm...I have a low light tank. The largest my leaves have ever achieved has been @4-6 inches and even then, it depends on where they are in the tank. The ones behind my driftwood achieve this length, while the ones on the sides do not.

thanks for the replies guys; it's good to know I'm not alone in my smallish java ferns!

Both ferns I have now have sprouted a bunch of new small leaves out of the rhizome, I wonder if pruning these would encourage the older leaves to grow larger?
I'll probably end up doing this later today; I'll let everyone know how it pans out...

Yea, I don't think we will ever unlock the secrets of the elusive, mysterious java fern. Sure, it "grows" in nearly all conditions, but what conditions are optimal? *stumped*

OK- My java fern had well over a dozen leaves, I trimmed all but the seven largest (all 2-4in). Now it's pearling! Maybe I'm onto something...

Yea, the undersides of my java fern pearl all the time. Actually they may just be collecting bubbles that are blowing around the tank, 'cause they still don't look that great. *shrugs*

Back
Top Bottom