Java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a java fern. I'm not familiar with the plant my grandma got it for me so I didn't pick it out. I've done research on the plant but I haven't found any thing I wanted to know. When I first got the plant it came with little plants growing on it so I plucked them off and replanted them in my tank and now it's growing even more my question is though how long does it take them to grow

The browner area at the bottom where the roots come out is a rhizome and the rhizome should not be covered in the substrate. That's why they can be floated til large enough to attach to rocks or driftwood.

They don't care for really bright light in my experience and are happy to be off to the side.

There is Narrow leaf, regular ones and Windelov which I have seen most commonly sold you can look them up to see which type you might have.

I have seen the regular ones forming a mass of 10-12" tall 4" wide.

Ok thanks should I let the little plants fall off on they're own or should I pick them off

let them grow. when they get big enough they will fall off on their own. I've never had quick growth with java fern before, basically no growth. They would seem to just be there, and die eventually if covered with too much algae.

however, since ive started DIY CO2 I've notice significant growth on my small java ferns. I guess it really depends on what you provide the java fern for it to grow. It will do well with no CO2, as long as light is low and algae is kept away. Add some CO2 and they look to grow pretty good.

Ok thanks again for the help anymore info on this plant would be great though

Back
Top Bottom